Bonus Chapter; Acceptance

A rotted stump is all that remains of the once beautiful willow tree. The grass surrounding the area has turned brown, tall weeds covering the field.

Placed against the sky was the crumbling walls that were nothing more than a ghostly silhouette of some previous existence. The building rattled with the history that echoed within the walls. Somewhere within, mixed with the pain, was a feeling of comfort. A part of Y/N was grateful for this place. Without it, she wouldn't have met Toby. She would have remained alone. The thought of being alone frightened her.

Dead grass crunches under her shoes as she walks closer to the abandoned building. A few windows are broken, graffiti already stains the brick walls of the structure. Halting at the entrance, slight hesitation overcomes her. She pulls the sleeves of her hoodie over her hands and fidgets with her fingers. Did she come here out of curiosity or for closure that this place was no more than a pile of ruins?

"Are you sure you're okay with this?" Toby asks from beside her, his voice pulls her out of her trance. "I know you have already insisted many times to come here, but..."

As she sighs, she can see her breath in the air. "Yeah, I'll be alright. It's just weird being here again.." Y/N tells him softly as she walks right in. One of the doors was broken off its hinges and was leaning against the wall. At least they didn't have to break in..

Y/N immediately recognizes the hallway she was in, even in its poor state after 4 years of being abandoned. The institution was shut down a few weeks after she escaped with Toby. After being thoroughly investigated by police, they were forced to shut down the place because of the cruel treatment the patients had to endure. Apparently, she wasn't the only one that was kept in her room for many years. So many others suffered as well and she was comforted just a bit knowing she wasn't alone.

The police stopped looking for her a long time ago. Her story became old news to the public. She has become forgotten. Not that she is complaining. People don't recognize her when she goes to public places anymore. She is grateful for that.

Shards of glass crunch under her feet, dust lays over every surface like dirty snow. The air was dank, mold was growing on the walls and ceiling. Most of the floor has been taken over by vines that have grown through the broken windows.

"This place is a wreck, " Toby claims from beside her. Y/N smiles at him, "Yes, I can see that." He rolls his eyes.

As she walks ahead of him, she hears a loud clatter than him cursing. Peering behind her, she sees Toby catching himself on the wall to avoid falling on the floor. Y/N laughs, "Be careful."

Toby catches up to her, "Whatever." He huffs.

Stopping at a door, her hesitation from before clouds her mind once again. Deciding against backing down now, she pulls the door open. The door squeaks loudly, rust covering the bottom of it. It doesn't seem like anyone has been in here for years.

Slowly, very slowly, Y/N enters the familiar room one step at a time. Feeling newfound confidence encourage her.

The thin mattress from her bed was gone, all that remained was the bed frame that was bolted to the stone floor. The floor was covered with dust bunnies, no footprints indented the dust collected on the floor. The window she once looked out of was cracked just a bit. Shafts of light burst through the window and stream over the walls. Cobwebs cover each corner of the small room.

The glass porcelain sink had a pristine dust layer, on the floor beside it was a faded brown stain. The memories that she locked up that day come pouring out. The distant look in the girl's eyes as she stared up at her from the floor, dead. The puddle of blood surrounding her head that grew every second. But those memories no longer scare her. She has long ago accepted what she had done and forgave herself. Those days she laid alone in this room no longer fazed her. They no longer made her wake up screaming, didn't make her cry.

Instead, those days were a part of her and to live on, she must accept that.

A hand lands on her shoulder, "You okay?"

Y/N nods, "I'm glad we came here. This place is a part of who I am today, coming here has helped me realize that." She turns to Toby and smiles up at him warmly. It felt as if a weight has been lifted off her chest. The burdens disappear and she has never felt this light before.

Toby grins at her, his hand moves up to ruffle her hair, "Let's get out of this shit hole, "

She laughs at the familiar words and takes his hand in hers, "Let's."

:-)

Next story part: Bonus Chapter; Oreos