✖ Chapter 6 ✖

Lunch hour caught me on my knees in the bathroom.

I made sure to put a lot of paper towels between the floor and my knees, so that I could keep things more sanitary. I certainly did not to get sticky and catch who knew what illnesses. I strained forward, gasping at how surprisingly difficult the position was. Even though I was doing him a great service, my knees hurt and I wasn't sure this was justified. After all, I could get in trouble if someone saw. I stuck my tongue out and strained even harder as I moved my hand back and forth until it was done.

There. His phone was completely scratched out from the wall. Hopefully this contained whatever damage he could've got from what was undoubtedly a spurned lover. No one would know I did this for Sawyer Logan, but in my head just the image of him finding out and thanking me in his insufferable way messed me up. I wouldn't say I hated him exactly, but I hated pretty much everything he stood for, and that was close enough. I was doing this because I saw it, I knew it was wrong and I couldn't ignore it. Not for him.

A static sound came from the school's speakers, followed by Mr. Jones' voice, "Can Aurora Martinez please report to my office? Thank you."

I gasped, afraid that there was some camera in here that caught me in the act of scribbling on the wall. I tried to stand up and forgot that the sink was directly over my head.

The blow sent me sprawling on my butt on the dirty floor as suddenly the aurora borealis danced around me. I giggled, because that was my name and even though it looked pretty the pain started to seep into my nerves with a vengeance. It took me three tries to stand up and I groaned when I saw myself in the mirror. A red bump had already appeared in the middle of my forehead. And I was just called to the Principal's office. I looked around and confirmed that of course there were no cameras in the girls' bathroom. Other than that, I had no idea what this was about.

I threw away the paper towels that protected my knees from the cooties on the floor, even though I was going to have to burn my jeans later because of the fall. I made my way through the hallways and got a couple of glances from people I knew. One asked what Mr. Jones' deal was and I told him that his guess was as good as mine. The whole time his eyes stayed on my throbbing forehead.

My face was already smarting in embarrassment when I made it to Mr. Jones' office and I was let inside. The tomato effect worsened when I was faced with not just the Principal, but Mr. Davies as well. And they looked upset, somehow.

"Hello, Mr. Jones," I said tentatively.

He motioned with his hand to the free chair next to Mr. Davies. "Hi, Miss Martinez. Please take a seat."

I did and looked from one to the other. I waited until one of them spoke, even though I was dying to ask if I'd done something wrong. Aside from adding onto the graffiti in the bathroom.

Mr. Jones wiped his forehead with a handkerchief. "Can you please tell us in detail what happened in the bathroom earlier?"

My spine straightened. My mouth opened and closed.

How did they freaking catch me?

"With Mr. Banks and Mr. Logan," he added once it became apparent that I was stumped for words.

I deflated as quickly as a balloon that was just pinched with a needle. "Oh."

Now that I knew this wasn't anything bad for me, I got more comfortable in the chair and thought back to what happened. I told them that I'd requested a hall pass and went to the girl's restroom, then as I walked by I heard the commotion.

"But did you see it?" Mr. Jones asked as he leaned forward.

"I, uh," I scratched my head but that sent a new flare of pain, so I stopped it. "Kind of. I knocked on the door and asked if everything was okay, and someone said to go away, so I didn't."