✖ Epilogue ✖

In retrospect, it might have seemed desperate of me to dress in a skin tight black dress and walk into a car shop, full of greasy and sweaty men that gossiped even more than high school kids.

But here was the thing, a couple of months before I moved back in town, Manny casually texted me the news that Sawyer had broken up with his girlfriend. And that, dear reader, was the real reason why I returned to Orlando instead of, say, move to California, where the art scene was probably even more exciting than in the entire east coast.

Because if I learned something during years of wandering around different cities, looking for a way to make my mark in the world, was that despite all the people I met, despite the cute boys I'd met in college, or the French boyfriend, my mind still drifted back to Sawyer Logan. I wondered what he was doing, if he'd finally replaced the cane that Manny had given him with something less cheesy and more than anything else, I wondered if he'd found another love.

Although we lost contact for the past few years, I did hear about him from papa or Toni. Sawyer was still employed in papa's shop, and had actually moved up the ladder to become the lead technician in the oldest shop. And of course, there was the fact that Toni and Adam had decided to name Sawyer as Ariel's godfather. Since I was her godmother, that meant that every time there was a family event, Sawyer was there.

That was how at some point I learned he'd found someone new, from a picture that Toni took during Ariel's birthday one year that I was in Paris. Sawyer was in the middle of the frame, lifting Ariel up in the air. His face was barely visible under the endless frills and lace of Ariel's princess dress, which he'd given to her as a gift, by the way, but from what I could see he was smiling from ear to ear. And next to him was a pretty redhead that looked at him like he was the best thing since sliced bread.

Not long after that I accepted to go on a date with a guy I met at a gallery in Paris, and the rest was history.

I had no idea what had happened between them, but I knew I had to take my shot. When I told Lina and Courtney of my plan over a phone call, they'd posed the risk that I would become his rebound, that if the pretty redhead wanted to get back with him, I'd be tossed aside.

It was a risk I wanted to take.

What I felt for Sawyer in my senior year of high school was much stronger than any crush I'd ever had, even over the one I'd had for Courtney's then boyfriend. But the feelings I had for Sawyer hadn't died down over the years. Not because of time, distance or the partners I'd had.

My heart beat only for him and I was certain of it.

I took a deep breath and walked into the shop. The first one I found was Manny and without even asking me he smiled and said, "He's under the red Corvette at the back."

I did a double take at him but still thanked him. I took a second to pull the hem of my ridiculous dress down just a bit and headed into the work area. A wolf whistle died soon after a second guy said that I was the owner's daughter. But I still attracted quite a few looks as I made my way to the back where the red, flashy car rested on stands.

I recognized Sawyer's legs in his stained, grey overalls, because his right leg had never healed to be quite like the left. There was too much of a bend at his knee, which was why he would need a walking cane forever. I saw Manny's gift propped up against a chair nearby and shook my head. It had an ugly silver skull for a handle with red stones for eyes.

Since he was under the car, hearing only the clangs of whatever he was fiddling with, he had no idea of my approach. I cleared my throat, loud, but that still didn't catch his attention. It was only until I called his name that he stopped.