4.

Jersey spent three hours on a bus with a sore behind, headache, and a growling stomach. She had stashed herself some snacks, but she needed something more filling. She was on her way to see her grandmother, Vivienne, who was currently locked up on drug trafficking charges.

She was fourteen when her grandmother got knocked by the police. Jersey could remember the cops slapping handcuffs on her grandmother's wrist and hauling her off to jail. That was the day her aunt Lisa had to pick her up. After that, Lisa had to fight hard in order to gain custody of Jersey. The judge had sentenced Vivienne to eighteen years in prison, so she wasn't getting out anytime soon.

After getting off the bus, Jersey got checked in and was granted access in the visiting room. She sat on the cold, hard chair and waited for the guard to bring her grandmother out. The steel doors opened and out came Vivienne who didn't look different at all. She ambled over, dressed in her prison attire. Her hair was combed into a ponytail and she sported smooth skin that was filled with freckles.

When she noticed her granddaughter she smiled, showing off the gold in her mouth. Vivienne was a gorgeous woman, but her rough lifestyle and attitude caused an impact on her.

"Look at you." Jersey spoke as she gave her grandmother a warm smile.

"No, look at you." Vivienne replied while surveying her granddaughter. "You cut all of your hair off?"

Jersey touched her short, curly hair and nodded her head. "I did. I got tired of wearing my hair long..."

"Well, that hairstyle suits you. You look just like Terrie. I wish she could see you right now."

Jersey looked down and eventually brought her attention back to her grandmother. People were always telling her that she looked so much like her mom. Unfortunately, Terrie didn't get to watch her daughter grow up.

Terrie Coleman was raised by Vivienne in the same brothel Jersey lived in. She learned the entire drug business from her mom. At a young age, Vivienne taught her daughter all about crack since it was a demanding product then. Terrie learned how to cook it, bag it up, and sell it. She eventually met Jersey's dad, they only stayed together for a year due to his infidelity and jealousy. People on the streets showed her mad respect because she was a real street bitch and easily liked; Terrie not only sold drugs, but she also gave back to her people. Eventually, she moved on and ended up getting pregnant for a married man. Their relationship didn't last, Preach's dad was long gone before he was born.

Terrie's last relationship was with this man from Cuba. Together, they teamed up and tried to take over certain areas of Brooklyn. Their productivity was so great that it caused a lot of connects and dealers to run dry. Terrie was aware of the people she had beef with, but she wasn't worried about it. It was on June 9, 2007 when Terrie dropped her kids off by her late grandmother's house. She was on her way to Philly when she was murdered. The results after the shooting was pitiful. When the cops examined her body, they noticed that she had her pistol wrapped loosely in her hand. She was slumped back with her eyes open, with bullets riddled into her body; A lot of people in Brooklyn took her death hard.

Jersey shook the thoughts from her head and looked over at her grandmother.

"How are they treating you in here?"

"Like a prisoner." Vivienne replied quickly. "I'm not expecting to be treated like I'm living in a palace."

"I wish you were out..." Jersey told her honestly.

Vivienne wasn't the best grandma, but Jersey didn't care. She just felt alone in the world. Her mom was dead, she didn't know her father, and her distant brother was way in Georgia.