six and a half weeks - jan 12

Harry is eager.

It seems he's either gotten over his skepticism or is great at pretending it doesn't exist, because he's already planning a nursery in the spare room at his mum's house and writing lists of names. He's bookmarked at least a dozen web pages full of baby clothes and purchased about four ridiculous parenting books - Your Pregnancy Week by Week; You're Gonna Be a Dad, Dude!  -  and is obsessed with wearing shirts so tight that Louis is almost concerned he can't breathe properly in them. He also makes Louis measure around his torso every day. Every day.

"Harry, you know you're not going to show-"

"Do it." He thrusts the tape measure into Louis's hands and lifts his arms up, kicking his shirt across the floor. He's standing in front of the full length mirror in his room and he stares at Louis's reflection expectantly. Louis sighs. "You're literally the same size as you were yesterday," he says, tossing the tape onto Harry's bed and wrapping his arms around Harry's stomach instead.

Harry huffs. "No, my stomach pokes out a little right here." He guides one of Louis's hands in between his hip bones, and there is the very smallest beginning of a bump there, Louis guesses - it barely juts out and it's only visible because Harry's torso is so flat on its own. "See? That's a person, Lou," he says, mesmerized by the way Louis's hand looks on top of his skin. He rests his own hand over it, and sniffles.

"Baby, no." He's only known of Harry's pregnancy for a short amount of time, but he's learned the signs of a good cry very quickly. The sniffles come first, then the pink nose, and then the wobbly voice. And then the tears. Harry cried when Louis kissed his stomach for the first time - which, Louis thinks, is practically nonexistent, but. - and he called Louis in tears at six in the morning after a nasty wave of nausea. Morning sickness has been inconveniencing Harry horribly within the past few days. Harry insists that it's normal, his book even says so, but that doesn't stop him from complaining and then proceeding to consume all of Louis's food at lunch. ("I'm creating a person, Louis; I think I'm entitled to your applesauce.")

Louis is extremely worried about people at school noticing, especially because Harry is leeching to him and eating like a horse. Harry insists that it's all in Louis's mind but he swears he feels people staring sometimes, and he's not a jerk. He's not ashamed of Harry or of their relationship, but Harry is pregnant now and they can only hide it for so long.

And he still has to tell his mother.

________

It all starts to go downhill after school the next day.

They're out at a store because Harry is craving vanilla ice cream and jalapeno flavored crisps at the same time, and he almost bit Louis's head off when he laughed at him for it, so. They're going to buy the crisps and ice cream and the earth is still round.

They're on their way to a self-checkout when Harry notices the baby section.

Louis notices Harry's eyes dart away from his face mid-sentence and he follows his gaze. He immediately regrets coming to a superstore instead of just a regular grocery store. "Harry, no."

"But Louis," he whines, throwing his head back dramatically, "I just want to look."

It takes two entire minutes of convincing on Harry's part and Louis finds himself surrounded by small onesies and stuffed animals before he can even blink. He's not sure when he became so whipped, but he does admit that watching Harry stroke the tiny clothes with wonder is pretty adorable.

"Louis, they're so small," he breathes, cooing at some pink booties that they really don't need. Not yet.

"Babies are small, Hazza," Louis chuckles, turning to face Harry. "You're the youngest, yeah? Probably don't have much experience with babies." Harry shakes his head, still staring at the shelves, and finally moves his hand away.