Burns

I've been wandering around for quite a while. At first when I left the living area I was in search for an exit. Now though I realize that even if I did find it, I have no idea where I am. Also, almost every door I've come in contact with has been locked. I'm guessing an exit won't be any different.

So far, I've walked through three corridors and have just walked down a single flight of stairs. Out of all the corridors only two doors have been unlocked: a bathroom and a swimming pool. I stayed in the swimming area for a long time, it had a glass roof top and the sky was fascinating. I don't think I have ever seen so many stars before and no matter how hard I searched I couldn't pin point a single constellation. That only proved more to me that all of this is real. I'm no longer in the "moral realm" as Atlas keeps telling me.

I'm now walking down a very well-lit hallway. The stone walls are decaying on either side of me, making me wonder how old this place really is. As I'm walking my feet are kicking up dust from the ground; I'm starting to cough with every intake of air. I see a door to the left of me that is made of old, dark wood. I go for the handle, twisting it only to be stopped by the lock on the other side. I let out a loud groan from deep in my chest, secretly hoping that the sound will somehow open the door. This is starting to get boring.

I kick the door with my boot clad foot then move onto the next one. I pause for a moment and stare. This door is different than all of the other ones. It's a metal door. The color is a deep red with gold swirls covering it. For a moment it almost looks like it's pulsing but then I realize that steam is actually wafting out from underneath it. Now that I look closely at it, the whole door is radiating heat.

I bring my right hand up to my forehead and wipe away a bit of sweat that has cumulated there.

What could possibly be behind this door? I reach my hand forward and take hold of the curvy, iron handle; instantly I regret this and fling my hand away, holding it to my chest. The handle is scorching hot and now my hand is burning.

I bring my hand in front of me and slowly open my palm, revealing big red blotches that take up the whole of my palm. I can tell that they are going to blister just from how painful they are.

"Ow, ow ow ow ow." I mumble to myself over and over again.

I should've known not to touch the door. I mean if I can feel the heat radiating from it, then of course it's going to be hot.

"Avianna?" I hear a voice to the left of me say.

I turn quickly to find Lorelei walking down the hallway. She has a pale purple walking stick in her hand and is using it to navigate the walk way. The pale purple surprises me for second, only because they are usually white. The stick is making loud clicking noises against the stone. I'm surprised I didn't hear her coming. She's wearing almost the same attire as the last time I saw her. Some grey sweats and a pink sweat shirt; comfy clothes.

"Um... yes it's me." I say trying not wince as I do, but I can tell my voice is still tight with pain.

"Are you alright? I heard you whimpering, dear." She stops right in front of me and stares through me with her grey eyes.

"Um yeah, I think I am. I just hurt my hand a little."

"May I?" She holds her hand out towards me gesturing for me to give me her hand. I place it in her own and she begins to outline my injury. She falters once she hears me wince and then gently gives me my hand back. "I'm sorry, dear. Can you describe where we are for me?"

I hesitate, I've never really been very good at describing things. English was my worst subject in school. I've always been more into history or astronomy. My English teacher once told me that I had the writing skills of a rhino... I don't think she meant it as a complement.