Chapter 2

<<<Alexandra Black>>>

"Cassiopeia Ara Black if you don't stop charming your brother's shoes, I'm going to write you up at the Ministry myself!"

"Mum! You're no fun!"

The two children immediately stopped their antics when I saw two shoes hovering in my kitchen. My young, black-haired daughter lowered her wand with a sigh and allowed the sneakers to fall to the ground. Chasing behind her, my son, Regulus Sirius, stopped to pick up one of his stolen shoes- the other shoe was taken over by our large black dog, Snuffles.

"How many times do I need to tell you, Cassie?" I sighed. "No underage magic!"

"As many times as you keep letting the reports slip at the Ministry, Mum!" Cassie smartly responded.

Sheepishly, I rolled my eyes. Cassiopeia definitely was her mother's daughter. She resembled me in appearance too- Black hair, same pale features, always a mischievous smile on her face. The thirteen year old easily gave me all of my grey hairs after two years of owls home from angry professors at Hogwarts. Cassie loved that she resembled me in appearance and personality, but she was very proud of her most distinguishing feature: her beautiful grey eyes.

Those grey eyes were her father's, and the sight of them made my heart ache.

"Go get dressed, Cassie, your brother wants to go to Diagon Alley today," I instructed. "He just got his Hogwarts letter!"

Immediately, Cassie ran up the stairs to change. Regulus was overjoyed at the thought of joining his older sister at Hogwarts. As I turned to my son, I noticed him struggling with the dog to retrieve his shoe.

"Mum, my shoe!" Regulus gasped.

I only heard the loud rip before Snuffles had the poor shoe in two pieces. With a sigh, I brought out my wand and tapped the two pieces. "Reparo."

"Mum... It's still wet." Regulus had a disgusted look on his face after slipping the shoe on his foot. Our dopey dog looked proud of his destruction. I easily pointed my wand at the shoe and dried it with a stream of hot air.

All in a normal day in the Black household, I thought.

"What's taking you two so long?" Cassie huffed as she jumped down the stairs. Judging by her speedy return, I knew she used magic to change her clothes, disregarding my command. I knew I would have yet another case of underage magic to "lose" when I returned to my job in the Improper Use of Magic Office at the Ministry.

Despite her defiance, I looked at my daughter fondly. She would soon start her third year at Hogwarts in September. Despite my complaints, I couldn't wait for the letters from McGonagall again about all of her pranks and shenanigans.

"We've been ready! Let's go!" Regulus exclaimed. He used the Floo Network first, stepping in our fireplace and shouting, "Horizont Alley!"

"What's up with him?" scoffed Cassie. I shrugged in response, equally surprised at his excitement. Regulus was always more reserved than Cassie. His sudden outgoing attitude was out of the ordinary.

"Hush, Cass," I reprimanded. "You know how excited you were when you were accepted to Hogwarts!"

I stepped in to the fireplace next and followed Regulus' suit.

"Horizont Alley!"

When I stepped foot in the small shop, my heart thumped wistfully. My feet kicked up dust on the dirty floorboards, but the place still held so many fond memories.

The shop, on the corner of Diagon Alley and Horizont Alley, was my pride and joy. It was Felix's dream, the wand shop my brother never got to open. Everything was set up- the boxes, the shelves, the sign reading 'Felix's Wands' overlooked the street. For years, I worked on it, using a small portion of the gold from Felix and the Black fortune. Felix would have loved what I did with his wands, but sadly, I still couldn't find the time or courage to open it.