[13] "You're Kidding"

A SWIFT knock sounds at the door and I whip my head over to see Archer. He looks over at me too, annoyance plastered on his face. He sighs, walking over to the door and I following behind him not knowing what else to do.

He unlocks the deadbolt and swings the door open.

"What?" Archer asks, his voice firm.

I peek around Archer's body, using him as a human shield and having no shame about it. If there's anyone I'd want protecting me, it's Archer. He could scare someone away with a simple look. When I looked around his torso, I expected to see Leila or something-anything but the simply dressed man in a black trench coat and darkened shades. I cock my head as he peers over at me as if I'm a small bug.

"Another conquest I see," the man says.

     I recoil, furrowing my brows.

"What do you want, Gerard," Archer asks, not moving from his position at the door.

He doesn't even comment on the statement from...Gerard was his name. He gives off such a vibe that I really don't know how to feel about it.

"Your mother sent me," he says, his voice almost monotone and his posture straight.

Archer's tense. Way more stiff than I've seen him before. I wonder who this guy is to him for him to react this way. Archer doesn't react to people, he more like makes other people take action to leave his presence, so this person must be powerful to him. Important.

     "I'm fine," he says.

     "I'm sure," he says, showing the first emotion I've witnessed from him so far-sarcasm.

     He steps right into the house, budging past Archer and bumping his shoulder. My jaw drops and I step back as Archer is nudged aside. I watch him with eyes as wide as saucers because no one-no one barges into Archer Cross's home and gets away with it.

His confidence is crazy.

"I see you've kept up the place, Archer," Gerard says.

"I have. I'm not an animal, Ger. I know how to clean up," Archer responds.

Ger? So this guy has a nickname? That's why he's allowed to push boundaries I guess.

     "So who are you exactly?" mystery man asks and turns to me.

I shrink, biting my lip and awkwardly fiddling with my hands.

     "We're...ah, he's..." I trail off, chancing a quick glance at Archer.

"She's a friend. Now you didn't answer my question," Archer says, going straight to business.

     "I'd like to hear her talk first," mystery man says, looking at me through his dark shades.

     I know I can't see his eyes, but I can just feel the squinting glare-daggers he's throwing at me. I bite my lip, cheeks burning as he keeps his eyes trained on me. I try looking at anything but him.

     "I'm Raven. We live in the same neighborhood," I mutter.

     The dark shaded man leans in towards me, as if trying to hear what I'd said. I gulp, embarrassed at my timid demeanor. I don't dare to repeat myself though and the tension level here is already through the roof. I've got Archer Cross and Mr. Mysterious in front of me and I don't see how this could get any worse.

     "She's not like your main type," Mr. Mysterious says.

     "Forget her, Ger. What do you need?" Archer asks, stepping in front of me and hiding me from Mr. Mysterious' peering eyes.