Chapter 28: Peeling Away Phobias

"Now now Jaybird, let's be rational about this. See what I did there, Jay and bird, Jaybird because they actually exist and...man I'm too funny." I stammer, finding myself to be absolutely hilarious. Yet when I look up Jay's eyes are still full of fury and he's most definitely not finding any of this funny. I take a hesitant step back as he moves forward after me, "You know some people such as myself cause happiness wherever they go but then you get people that cause happiness whenever they go, you fall in the latter category Jaybird."

Still he doesn't crack a smile. Maybe insulting him isn't the way to go seeing as I'm the only one to find it funny.

"Look Lawson, technically you off the hook because you haven't actually done anything yet. If you just get out my room now then we're good and I'll call all of this off." Jay says, taking a step backwards, unblocking the path to the exit of the room.

I eye the exit, knowing he'd let me go...but where's the fun in that? Then from the corner of my eye I see the tuft of greasy ginger hair - Oog is still unconscious. I can't let him suffer in vain. Something must come out of this, in honour of Oog's death or unconsciousness...same thing. With that thought in mind I cross his room in the blink of an eye, take hold of his leather jacket and in a flash I'm downstairs, leaving Oog to rest and leaving Jay to register that I didn't take his bait. In fact I'm going against what he'd ask, as per usual. My actions should be predictable by now and apparently they are seeing as Jay is hot on my heels.

I make it into the kitchen and open the fridge, taking out all my liquid options. Jay catches up and stops short when he sees his new leather jacket that Simo had bought him dangling from my hands in a threatening manner as I motion to the liquids I could 'accidentally on purpose' mess. "Come any closer and I won't hesitate to murder your jacket!" I hiss, manipulating him in the process.

"Aqueela let's think about this." Jay starts, our roles reversed as he tries to talk me out of it.

"Please Jay, when do I think about anything ever?!" I roar, reminding him of all the times I've acted on impulse. That's a lot of times...

Jay steps forward too eagerly. My eyes widen at the threat as I hold unfasten the cap of the Granadilla Twist and hold the open bottle over his jacket, "Don't you dare come any closer. Stay put!" I demand as he stops moving, obeying me for the first time and holding his hands up in a surrendering motion. "Now roll over and play dead!" I take advantage over the situation...so maybe I'm milking this a little bit.

Jay rolls his eyes and shakes his head, "I'm not your dog, that's Oog's role. I refuse to play dead-"

"Then which be it Jaybird? Milk, Pepsi or Granadilla Twist?" I threaten his jacket as he suddenly falls to the ground and stays stiff, his breathing slowing as he makes out as if he's dead. "That's what I thought. Do not try to defy me again or your jacket will pay the cost! And stay dead! Or else!"

The front door swings open and I'm distracted for a brief moment when Max walks in out of breath. He glances up to see the sight before him. He points to Jay who is lying face down on the ground, "Do I want to know?"

"I beat him to a pulp with my bare hands. I pummeled him, pulverized him - hey! What do you think you're doing! Don't come any closer. I'm warning you Max!" I shout at him as he edges closer toward me in a daring bold manner. "That's it!" I scream, pouring Pepsi, milk and Granadilla Twist all over the jacket because Max was getting to courageous for my liking. That's when Max shouts to Jay as Jay jumps up, eyeing his jacket in shock and grief since I just drowned it. It's also when I realize that I just lost any sort of leverage that I had as now there is nothing keeping the boys at bay. "Mercy! Mercy!" I start screaming, mimicking the cries of the old sandbag as I run back upstairs and head straight for the nearest room which just so happens to be Jay's room.