chapter 1: exam room one

(y/n) POV

The morning had started like any other one.

Routine.

Waking up, stuffing everything for the day into a messenger bag, a quick shower because I didn't feel like it last night, throwing on jeans and a t-shirt, wrapping a hoodie around my waist because of how cold the hospital could get, stumbling to pull on some shoes.

Rushing out the apartment and nibbling on a granola bar.

Late again.

Taking a bus to the hospital and running to the door. New week, newly revised patient list to be picked up at Cuddy's office.

Of course being accident prone meant something always had to happen. Today was no different.

I ran and tripped face first into an open door the hospital entrance. Some asshole had opened the door in my face as they exited not paying attention to what they were doing, my running to enter the building was also a cause. I stumbled back and tripped on my own feet and fell on my side trying to catch myself, the contents of my bag spilling as a result. I scrambled to grab all my things, palms burning from my raw skin.

I dusted myself off and entered the building going to Cuddy's office.

"My gosh what happened to you (y/n)? You're hair is a mess, there's a gash on your head, and your lip is busted."

"I fell on my way here. Don't worry about it I'm fine. I just came down for the new list. I'm sorry I'm late I know you're busy," I reassured.

"Yes of course," she said pausing for a moment as I reached out to grab the sheet of paper from her.

She had obviously noticed my cut up palm.

"Come with me," she said guiding me out of the office and down to the clinic. She opened the door to exam room one after she made sure there wasn't a patient inside.
She handed me the paper before instructing me to take a seat on the exam bed and wait.

Five minutes was all it took until the door opened. Cuddy wasn't the one to step in. A man with a cane and no lab coat came in. A bored expression on his face as he looked down at a blue file in his right hand, he walked in with his cane in his left hand.

"My name is Dr. Gregory House. What brings you into the clinic, (y/n)," he said before looking up from the file. His icy blue eyes met mine for a moment before I looked away.

"I'm fine, Dr. Cuddy's just making a big deal. I fell on my way into the hospital after I ran into the door while someone was walking out. It's just a couple of scratches," I said avoiding eye contact.

"It's her job to worry about people who walk into the hospital," he said blandly.

"I'm fine. I'm used to it. I tend to hurt myself easily, I'm accident prone. I can take a hit."

"Look you have a gash on your head. Cuddy won't let me hear the end of it if I don't treat you," he said with a softer tone as he opened the cabinet grabbing some medical supplies and putting on some gloves.

"This'll sting a bit," he said cleaning the small gash near my temple. "The good news is you won't need stitches. Follow the light," he shone a light in my eyes and I followed it.

"No signs of concussion. How did you land when you fell?"

"I fell on my side. I tried to catch myself," I sighed turning my palms upward.

"This is bactine, it'll ease whatever pain your feeling from these cuts on your palms and it's also a disinfectant," he said applying the ointment and pulling my arm forward to get a better look at what he was doing.