Chapter 9: Ambush

THE WAY TO THE STORE was indeed a long way. During the travel, I spent most of my time ignoring their conversation and their implicit way of saying their secrets, as if doing so would make it seem less obvious to me, which is not.

"Will you stop talking like I will spill your secrets to anybody I see?"

"We never know." Exene shrugged and I gave him a dirty look.

"Saan ba talaga tayo pupunta? You said we're going to a store. Akala ko nasa syudad 'yon? Why are we in the forest?"

"Because the store is in the forest."

Hindi na ako sumagot. Exene told me the greenhouse is almost finished and that I can find some herbs in this store that I might want to plant in the greenhouse. Truthfully, I can't help but feel excited. A greenhouse of my own and I get to plant anything I want.

"So, what do you want to plant in your greenhouse?" Lucas said and based on his tone, I am guessing he's grinning.

"Poisons for arrogant bastards."

Exene barked a laugh. "You have a rather wicked sense of humor."

"Only to arrogant bastards."

Hindi ko alam kung ilang minuto o oras kaming nakasakay sa kabayo but a few moments later, Exene stopped his horse at bumaba roon. I did the same, slightly proud that I managed to get down without the help of Luca.

"Why are we stopping?"

"Hindi makakapasok ang kabayo simula dito. The road is too narrow. Luca will be here with the horses." Exene looked at Luca who was already tying the horses to the nearest tree. He waved his hand lazily and sprawled himself on the ground.

"I'll be here." He said and closed his eyes. Napatingin ako kay Exene and he just jerked his head to the way.

Nauna siyang naglakad habang nakasunod naman ako sa kanya. I was thankful I wasn't wearing a dress today. The massive roots of the trees tangled to the ground making it hard to walk. I had to maneuver my way on top of them. Occasionally, Exene would help but most of the time I tried my best not to ask for his help. I hate seeing his cocky grin whenever he sees me struggling.

It wasn't hot. In fact, walang init ang nakakalusot sa kapal ng dahon sa itaas namin. The trees were massive and the canopy is thick but I was sweating heavily.

Magtatanong na sana ako kung malayo pa ba nang biglang huminto si Exene. He was staring ahead, his back stiff. Akmang maglalakad na ako papunta sa gilid niya nang iharang niya ang kanyang braso.

I looked at him. His eyes were alert, looking far ahead. Tiningnan ko ang tinitingnan niya ngunit wala akong nakikita. Slowly, his hand went to the weapon strapped on his waist while his other arm nudged me behind him.

"What's happening?" Hindi siya sumagot. There is something wrong. His back was stiff and I can feel the tension.

"Exene-"

"Can you run fast?"

"Ano? What in the world is happening? Why are you asking-"

"We're not the only one's here."

"What do you mean?"

"You run when I say so. Understood?"

Just when I was about to open my mouth, the bushes made a noise. And from them came out men. They were decent looking. Like the men I can see in the streets of this city. No one would suspect they're rogues. They were all holing knives. Which is not good.

Hindi ko namalayang napahawak na pala ako sa damit ni Exene. He's right. We are not alone. There are three men in front of us. And there's only Exene with his dagger.