17

I refused to let Anya pack for me. I wanted to be alone despite how lonely I had been. I wanted to wallow and I sure as hell was going to do it.

It was late when Dominic finally made his appearance. Part of me expected him to just stand guard outside the door, but I knew he was too headstrong for that. He had probably been stewing about my outburst since I walked away. I didn't care what he had to say though.

"What do you want?" I asked quietly as I set my bag at the foot of the bed.

"I owe you an apology."

I stopped and stared at him, dumbfounded. Dominic didn't strike me as the type to apologize for anything.

"Okay."

"And an explanation."

"I'll say."

He shot me a pointed look. "Edric did not make me sleep with you, but he did strongly encourage it."

"Same thing," I said with a roll of my eyes. "Look, I think I've been humiliated enough for one day. Let's just act like it never happened."

"No. It did happen and I don't regret it at all."

"Then why have you ignored me since we got back?"

"What choice did I have? It was either step away or have people grow suspicious of us."

I folded my arms over my chest and glued my eyes to the ground.

"I care about you more than I've ever cared about anyone," he said. "Edric had no influence over what happened between us."

"I want to believe you, but how am I supposed to trust a word you say?"

"What are you talking about?" He demanded.

"You knew about my dad and you didn't say shit."

His eyes narrowed. "He told you?"

"I had a right to know. Not that I'm going to rule, but you should have told me."

"I don't know what game Edric is playing, but we agreed to keep it quiet until you were crowned so there wouldn't be any risk of someone finding out who you really are."

"I don't want to rule. Why would anyone care who my family is?"

"Ivan and Catherine would have you executed. They will not let a member of your family live."

"That doesn't make sense."

"It doesn't matter if it makes sense. It's what will happen and Edric put you in danger by telling you."

"Well, at least I know. Now I'll be able to watch my back."

"You haven't learned anything being in this family," he said quietly. "You can't trust anyone here. If Edric told you, he's probably told Alonzo."

I shook my head. "He wouldn't."

"And why not? He thinks he's in love with him. He thinks he can trust him."

Dominic had a point. I knew he was trying to get me to see that I was being naive and maybe I was, but I had kept Edric's secret. There was no way he sold me out.

I hoped.

I prayed he wasn't that stupid. If Ivan and Catherine truly were that afraid of my family, Alonzo knowing was probably not a good thing.

"What did Edric say to you?"

I shook my head. "I don't know. Something about removing the American alpha from power and then he asked if I was going to divorce him after this."