Chapter 3

<<<Alexandra Black>>>

The reality hadn't sunk in. For the whole 24 hours since I found out about Sirius' escape, I was a jumpy mess. If the floorboards creaked, I was startled. Cassie let the dog outside, and I frantically rushed for my wand, afraid someone entered my home. When the morning owls came, I screamed.

The Daily Prophet terrified me. The first picture on the front page was the deranged man himself, laughing maniacally. I was sure to hide the paper from Cassie and Regulus.

Remus Lupin had dinner with my family every Thursday night, the moon permitting. This night was no different, despite the news that a powerful murderer, and his ex-best friend, was on the loose. In fact, I anxiously awaited the moment I could discuss Sirius' escape with my best friend.

"Uncle Moony!" Cassie beamed when Remus stepped through the door.

"Cass!" Remus laughed and hugged his goddaughter. Regulus trailed along right behind Cassie, both of them looking at Remus expectantly.

"Oh, all right you two!"

Remus pulled two bags out of his robe and handed one to each of the children. Despite his financial situation, Remus always scraped up a few Sickles to buy my children small gifts. Undoubtedly, Cassie's bag was filled with new paints or pencils for her art. Regulus definitely received a book of sorts. The gifts would keep them busy for a few days. I embraced Remus and kissed his cheek, the way we usually greeted each other. Remus' lips lingered by my ear so he could whisper something my children wouldn't hear.

"Have you told them yet?"

"No," I responded, chills ran down my spine. I gripped his forearms for stability. "I-I thought we could tell them together."

Remus and I hadn't even had time to discuss Sirius Black's escape alone. I wasn't sure if the pale, sickly look on his face was from the approaching full moon or if it was in response to the escaped murderer. I knew I didn't look much better.

For dinner, we ate a roast and mixed vegetables. I wasn't hungry. Remus seemed to have lost his appetite as well. Cassie and Regulus didn't seem to notice and ate rather ravenously. My eyes were fixed on the clock I had replaced on the wall. The children hadn't seen it yet. I was worried one hand would suddenly move from 'traveling' to 'home.' Remus carefully studied my gaze with expectant green eyes. My stomach twisted in knots.

"I have a little bit of news," Remus began. My mouth felt like cotton. "I got a job."

Cassie and Regulus beamed at him. I let out a breath, as this wasn't the discussion I anticipated. I was pleasantly surprised, knowing how hard it was for him to get a stable job as a werewolf. I weakly grinned, grateful for the opportunity to forget about pressing matters.

"Remus, congratulations!" I said. "Where at?"

"Hogwarts," Remus continued. "I am the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor."

My children couldn't contain their excitement.

"Professor Moony, I could get used to that!" Regulus laughed.

"Thank Merlin it's you! I'll learn more from you in one day than I did from Lockhart all year!" added Cassie.

"It is Professor Lupin from now on," Remus corrected. "And I think it is perfect timing for me to be around Hogwarts this year, given the circumstances..."