Ch. 49

It was late April, and Ginny's tryouts for the Holyhead Harpies had come around. The entire group was delighted when Professor McGonagall granted them permission to go cheer her on, especially considering that the only reason they were able to go was because Hermione had scored Outstanding's on the N.E.W.T. exams she had taken so far.

"Do you think Ginny's nervous?"

The small group looked down onto the quidditch pitch to see the red head pacing back and forth with her broom propped up on her shoulder. She had separated herself from the rest of the group trying out for the Harpies, trying to calm herself down and ready up.

Hermione shook her head and explained, "No, she's fine. That's how she gets in the mindset for quidditch."

"I don't think I've ever seen her do that," Pansy said with a frown as she leaned back against Theo's legs again.

"Trust me, she'll pace the entire length of the common room over and over before a match until she drives everyone else mad," Hermione laughed.

"She'll be just fine," Blaise said confidently, looking back at his shoulder towards them. "She's going to crush everyone else."

"Just as long as Hermione doesn't use the Confundus Charm on the others," Pansy said slyly.

Hermione's face turned bright red as she stared at Pansy with wide eyes, while Draco, Blaise, and Theo all gaped at her.

"You did what?" Draco asked, trying to hide a grin.

"How could you, Pansy?" Hermione scowled. "I told you that in confidence."

Pansy shrugged and stuck her tongue out while Draco shifted in his seat to face Hermione. "Who did you use the Confundus Charm on? And why?"

Sighing, Hermione looked down at her hands in her lap. "It was sixth year during the Gryffindor quidditch tryouts. Cormac McLaggen was being an outright prat and I didn't want him to be our keeper, so..."

Draco stared at her for a few moments before a grin spread across his face. "I think that's the most Slytherin thing you have ever done. I'm so proud of you!"

She smiled and laughed at that as he wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her closer to him. The quidditch tryouts soon went underway as the large crowd of hopefuls waited patiently for their turn.

"Are they starting with the beaters?" Theo asked curiously.

"Looks like it," Blaise said.

"Interesting position to start with," Draco added. "Most of the time they start with keepers."

"Well maybe they need beaters so that's taking the priority," Pansy suggested.

"Why did you never try out for quidditch?" Hermione asked, looking over at Pansy.

Pansy shrugged and gave a small grin. "Mother never thought it was a sport for 'ladies'. In truth I would've been a fantastic beater. Theo lets me practice with his bats sometimes; it's a great stress relief."

"Actually, I'm curious as to why you never tried out for quidditch," Theo said, leaning forward to look down at Hermione. "I've never even seen you on a broom, come to think of it."

Draco was the one to come to her rescue as he said, "She's fantastic at everything else she does; I think the ability to fly would give her way too much of an edge over the rest of us."

Hermione laughed at this while Theo shook his head. "A witch who doesn't know how to fly; whoever heard of such a thing?"

"I know how to fly!" Hermione said defensively.