Fifty Four

Rose

It was the New Year and we spent the holiday with the Rossi family where Cristiano sorted his differences out with his brothers. They were finally getting along and it seemed that things were looking up.

Until I woke up one morning with the worst stomach pain.

For the whole day, I was ill. The New Year was initially going so well and yet my sickness had to ruin it.

"It goes and comes," I gently explained Cristiano, rubbing my eyes as I sighed, meeting his concerned eyes. He continued to stroke my hair, completely worried.

"Can you stop being stubborn and agree to go to the hospital?" Cris asked, his voice filled with worry. "I don't like seeing you in pain." I shook my head which only made my headache worse. I rested back against the bed.

"I hate hospitals, Cris. If I cry, we'll go. They'll probably just give me some painkillers then tell me my period's coming or I ate something bad."

Cris gave me a 'come on' look before asking, "well did you take the painkillers I gave you?"

"No. I don't like medicine."

He huffed, shaking his head at me. "You're so stubborn."

"Am not."

"Are too."

"Am not."

"Are too!"

"Am not!"

He huffed again in frustration as I smirked, winning. "And competitive." He added, rolling his eyes as I did the same. He chuckled nevertheless and pecked my lips saying, "but that's what makes you the lovable you."

"I think I'm just gonna try and sleep off the pain," I told him, my hand on my stomach that twisted and churned. I held back from showing an sign of pain on my face; I didn't want him to worry or overreact. I told myself that I would be fine; just a stomach bug. A painful one.

He sighed and nodded, kissing me cheek as he covered me with the duvet. "Okay, well, I'll be downstairs if you need me. Shout or call me, okay?" I nodded, giving him a reassuring smile.

"Thank you, mon amour."

"Love you."

Then he left the room, turning off the light and leaving the door slightly open. I heard his retreating footsteps and as soon as they stopped, signalling that he had sat down and switched on the television, I let out an agonising groan that I had held in for too long.

Fuck! It hurts so bad

Should I call Cris?

No, I don't want him to worry

It's probably nothing

Urgh! Why does it hurt?

Damn it, what did I eat?

He probably undercooked that lasagna

Oh my gosh

Maybe I should go to the hospital

I hate medicine and I hate hospitals

It hurts so bad

I tossed and turned in bed.

It must've been an hour of me moving around in uncomfortableness, trying to find the best position. Pain seared through my abdomen.

Up and down