37

chapter thirty seven
florence thompson
song: mine right now - sigrid

It has been one week since the charity event, I've talked to Vincent a total of two times since that night and haven't seen him at all. He's called me twice to cancel both of our dinners, saying something has come up.

Yesterday he'd called me to tell me that he had today free and so he was hauling my ass to a shitty motel and we were going to go sale shopping so he could live a day in the life of an average consumer.

I laughed loudly when he'd told me this, I had honestly thought we would've just left it as a joke a moved on, knowing full well he's always too busy.

When he showed up in his ridiculously expensive car that looked outrageous parked next to my car that looked as if it was lucky to start, I laughed even harder.

"I can't believe you're serious about this," I mumbled, shaking my head as I neared him with my overnight bag hanging from my shoulder.

He grinned this cheesy grin, hands in the pockets of his black dress pants. He was a little less dressy today, ditching the suit jacket and instead deciding on the dress pants and a simple white dress shirt tucked into the belted bottoms. The sleeves of his shirt were rolled up to his elbows, exposing his tan forearms.

I sighed at the sight of him. Both in a dreamy way that I totally shouldn't be and also in an exasperated are you kidding me? We're going sale shopping at Marshalls kind of way.

"I don't know if you know this about me yet, Miss Thompson, but I'm a pretty serious guy." He tilted his head, raising a playful brow as he took my overnight bag from my hands and opened the back door of his money machine before tossing it in and closing the door.

"Are you now?" I grinned up at him, shaking my head slightly.

It seems like I haven't seen him in ages, I'd become so accustomed to our twice a week visits, sometimes even more. My life had felt slightly off-kilter the past seven days and seeing Vincent in the flesh seemed to really pinpoint the reason behind the feeling.

I brushed it off though, reminding myself that I need to un-attach myself from this man that I have become far too attached to.

"The most serious." He flashed a playful grumpy look in my direction before pulling open my door and ushering me in.

I shook my head, the ghost of a smile on my lips as I slid into the car before he slammed the door shut. He walked around the car before slipping into his seat, immediately starting the car before buckling up.

He shifted the car into gear after double checking that I'd buckled, backing out of the parking spot and making a beeline for the main road.

He pulled out his phone, pulling up a webpage before handing it over to me.

"I found a three-star, figured we'd book that?" He offered, glancing over to me as I looked at the device in my hands.

I snorted.

"Three stars," I chuckled, shaking my head. "It has an indoor pool? Oh no, no," I decided, pulling up a Motel 6 and looking over the pricing, which was less than half of the price of the other one.

"3 stars? Not good? Book whatever you want, really. I am after all going for the authentic Florence Thompson experience." He grinned, glancing over at me momentarily before his gaze found its way back to the road ahead of us.

I chuckled, shaking my head as I reserved a night at the shady looking Motel 6. If he wants life on a budget, then life on a budget he shall get.

...Also maybe bedbugs but hey, he asked for it.