She's Not Alone

As Bucky and I warded off strays of Thanos' army on the left side of the battlefield, I began to notice yellow blasts of light towards the center. I kept an eye on it, wondering exactly who was conjuring them, when I saw a glimpse of a red cape and my breath hitched. 

I threw up a forcefield around Bucky and I. The Outriders burned when they smashed against it. I asked him quickly if he would be all right without me, he agreed and took the few moments of protection to reload his gun before I let the field drop and I jumped through a portal to see my old friend. 

Expectedly, the heavier powered individuals took stands throughout the battlefield to protect the weaker people of our army. Strange was positioned near the front, warding off a portion of the center with whatever he could conjure from his hands. 

I touched down beside him and lit up my hands with fire. I shot short beams at attackers who came too close and punched straight through those I missed. Black blood splashed up my arms as I burned through abdomens of soldiers, bodies fell at our feet, and it was never ending, but we found brief moments to speak. 

"I can't believe you gave away my Stone," I yelled to him. 

Strange spared a glance to shake his head. "You know I had to."

"'Course," I grunted, kicking an Outrider in the face. It fell, and I shot an excessive amount of beams into it before it lay still. I paused to grin coyly at Strange, who rolled his eyes. "We're in the one where we win, aren't we?"

Strange stayed silent. 

I rolled my eyes. I conjured a wave between my hands and threw it forward, burning through our attackers for a moment. Strange lowered his hands and raised his eyebrow at me. 

"I believed in you. I trusted you for all these years-- despite what everyone else said. I saw that you lied to me, that you gave me an empty Eye, I saw you say we are in the endgame now. If this isn't it, if this isn't what you saw..." 

"Clara," he said softly, his lips splitting repeatedly in a debate over what words he wanted to say to me. After some time, as I let a horde of Outriders march towards us and didn't move to fight them, he quickly huffed, "If you trusted me the last years, trust me now."

A grin stretched my cheeks. I punched my hands together, igniting a spark between my hands. I said nothing to him and I threw fireballs at the incoming threats. Strange and I fought side by side, colored flashes coming from both of our hands, and the smile on my faith didn't diminish. Finally, after years, I knew I was right to trust Stephen after all this time, and that the opposition I had gotten from Steve and Tony was misplaced. The Avengers had done everything right, and we were truly in the endgame now, here, with all of our allies across the universe against our greatest threat. We were going to win. Whatever it took. 

"Clara!"  panted Clint. "Where the Hell are you?!"

"Center flank, center flank," I said quickly. I glanced at Strange, who exchanged an understanding nod, and I thrust my hands towards the ground. I soared through the air, scouting for the shimmer of the Gauntlet. 

I saw T'Challa's purple shield flicker not so far in front of me. I had started to propel back to the ground, where I was ready to blast off once more, but my raised hands were grabbed by Sam. I laughed merrily as he flew me across the field and dropped me beside T'Challa. I lit up my hands to guide me slowly down to the floor. 

I didn't get the chance to greet T'Challa when he was hit by Thanos' blade. The Gauntlet flew up in the air. I caught it in a field and dropped it into my hands. I waved my hand to open a portal, but my hand was suddenly enclosed by tiny, compacted rocks. The same rocks swirled up my feet, locking me to the ground. I held the Gauntlet up in the air as rocks began to quickly enclose my body.