Chapter 4: The Argument

It was Hermione who had ran past Harry and Ron. She had seen them, and ran past them as fast as she could in high heels. She got in the ballroom before they could catch her. Draco was already in there waiting for her. she ran into his arms, almost out of breath, and on the verge of tears.

Draco held Hermione while comforting her, and trying to find out what was wrong. "Shhh, shhh, it's alright, your fine, everything's going to be alright, everything's fi-"

"No, it's not Draco!" Hermione looked up at him with her red, bloodshot, tear filled eyes. " On my way here, Harry and Ron.... they almost saw me on my way here, and I had to run past them in these!" She pointed down the the high heel shoes she was wearing. "Oh, Draco, what if they did see me? What i they asked what I was doing dressed up so fancy? If they found out, I'd never forgive myself." Then she went back to sobbing, until they heard someone outside.

"Hermione..... do you hear that?" Draco was getting scared. What IF someone found them?

"Yes, actually..... I do..... Oh no! It's harry and Ron!! STFU!!"

"Well what now?"  

   " I don't know, but we'll have to ask Hermione tomorrow. Come on, let's go back to the common room. We might as well do our homework now, so we won't be doing it last minute Monday morning."

"Harry, either you've been spending too much time with Hermione, or your going completely mental on me."  

As the footsteps faded, they both let out a big sigh. "That was too close." Hermione said after the footsteps had left earshot. "Draco, I've been thinking. We've been hanging out for a while now, but always secretly. I think it's time we put this out into the open, so there would be no more sneaking around like this."

"Hermione, if we do this, my father will surely hear about this, and NOT from me. Do you know what will happen to me? I'll be disowned, my family will never trust me again, and I'll be a traitor to the pure blood line of the Malfoy's." Draco didn't wanna say that, but he had too. He had promised Hermione, as she did with him, to always be honest. 

"Okay, so being disowned and not dating a pureblood, who barely even EXIST anymore because of many wizards being either muggle borns or half-bloods, is more important to you than your relationship with me?" Hermione, thinking she was out of tears, was on the verge of more.

"No Hermione, that's not what I mean-"

"Oh you listen to me Malfoy, I know exactly what you meant. You obviously care more about inheriting money than spending time with a person who loves you as much as you love her."

"Hermione, if you just let me expl-"

"I don't need an explanation. It's obvious that you don't care for me as much as you did a month ago.  Your selfish, and greedy, and just plain mean to everyone else but me. I love you, but you need to understand that life isin't just about you. When you figure that out, send me an owl." then she ran out of the room, crying a river, while Draco yelled from behind her "Hermione, wait, I love you! I need you!" but she was gone.

 After the door slammed closed, he was left there in his dress robes, thinking "Draco, you little shit, what have you gotten yourself into?! 

"Hermione hasn't been herself lately."

"have you seen her crying more and more lately?"

"I heard that last week she FAILED a test."

"I hear she hasn't read in a week!"

This was the gossip that surrounded Draco over the next week. All he knew is that Ron and Harry we'r being colder to him than ever before, even though they didn't know a thing about what had happened to her the previous week.

Harry absolutely hated Draco now more than ever. Hermione came back around 8:30 Friday night sobbing, chucking off her heels, so they hit Harry right in the gut, while the heel of the other hit Ron in the nuts. He bent over immediately, pain filling him. Hermione ran up the stairs, changed out of her dress, threw it under her bed, changed into her pyjamas, then lay face down on her pillow, threw the covers over herself, and sobbed for the rest of the night. 

All that week, she had Potions with Slytherins, along with Herbology, Defence Against The Dark Arts, and Charms. And every class, Hermione gave him dirty looks everytime they made eye contact. She couldn't focus when she was studying or doing her homework, and she hadn't been to the library in 3 days. 

Then, the worst happened.

It was lunch, and she was, once again, wiping her tears, when Mcgonagall came up to her. "Ms.Granger. We need to talk. Please follow me."

"What is it you wanted to talk to me about Professor?" Hermione asked when she and Mcgonagall sat down in her office. 

"Ms.granger, you've failed to pass in five homework assignments. You've gotten 50% on two tests in these past three days. I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable. I'm sorry, but your off of the honor roll."