Chapter 47.

~August~

I finally sat up after tossing and turning for a while.

I pulled on a shirt before leaving my bedroom.

My feet followed the familiar path down the hallway to reach the partially opened doorway.

I slipped inside and closed it behind me.

The dim moonlight shining through the window illuminated Bethany's form sitting in a chair.

She stood quickly once she noticed me.

I could proudly say I didn't even pay attention to the way her bra-less breasts swayed under her sleep shirt.

Okay that's a lie, but I only looked at them real quick.

I couldn't help it, the woman was blessed.

"I couldn't sleep so I decided to...I don't even know why I came here specifically, but," She shrugged. "I hope it's okay."

"Yeah, I like to come in here too when I can't sleep most nights. B, this room belongs to you as much as it does to me.

"Okay." She said softly, sitting back down.

I moved closer and took a seat beside her on the floor.

We sat in silence, staring out of the window.

"Sometimes I feel like I may be doing too much by holding a candle to a dead son when I still have a living child to take care of." She spoke, not looking at me.

I glanced at her.

"I feel the same, in a way. But we all got our own way of grieving. You're entitled to your own actions and emotions." I stated before gesturing to the room. "Well shit, look at how I'm dealing with it."

"You're right." She nodded slowly. "Have you ever thought about packing this stuff up?"

"A few times," I lifted and dropped my shoulders. "I'd start to then get caught up in what could have been and end up putting it off, lie to myself and say I'd get to it later. To be honest, before I knew about Angel, I felt like this room was all I had that tied me to you. Couldn't bare to store my love for you in a box in the attic or something. Then I learned to put all my energy into Serena or my music and it helped distract me."

I felt her eyes settle on me.

"I understand but, I was here August. You left back then, but you could have came back. And we could have-" She stopped and rubbed her lips together. "I won't say anything to disrespect my relationship now, but I'll simply say things could have been so different."

"Yeah. I definitely know it. Haunts me every damn day."

Time passed with us sitting in silence.

"I did come back." I blurted out.

She gave me a confused look.

"I came back here, a few months after I left, but you were already gone. I um, went by your house and your parents' house looking for you. Your dad told me you moved but didn't say where. I maaaay have even stalked your social media pages a little." I gave a sheepish smile when she threw me a look. "But in the end, I figured it was for the best ya know? You getting a fresh start or whatever. Guess I was right."

"Oh wow. I didn't...My dad never told me..." She trailed off. "That still doesn't-"

"I know I was too late. And I know it doesn't change anything at all, but I just thought you should know." I said quickly.

She nodded again.

"I just find it completely comical that you somehow ended up at your daughter's birthday party without knowing she was your daughter."