Chapter 66

The next morning, we woke up to the greatest news ever. Dad was awake and we could go visit him!

"Jake, come on, get up. Get dressed. I have places to be and you are my ride," I said, shaking his shoulder to wake him.

"I'm up babe," he said, sitting up and kissing my forehead.

"I love you," I said, kissing him quickly.

"I love you too," he said, smiling at me.

"Let's go," I said, standing up and grabbing his clothes to throw at him. He took them and slid them on as Seth and Leah walked in through the doorway that connected the rooms.

"Let's go," Seth said, motioning for Jake to hurry up. Once Jake was finally ready to leave, we headed straight for the hospital.

"Babe, don't be nervous," Jake said. His hand found a resting place on my knee and he stared at me for a few moments as we sat at a red light.

"I'm just worried about my dad. That's all," I said, smiling softly.

"He's alright. He's a pretty tough old man," Jake said, causing a slight smile to form on my lips.

"He's gonna beat you when he hears that you called him old," I said, smiling a little more.

"I'm aware babe," Jake said, finishing the short drive to the hospital. The second we were out of the car, Jake's hand found its way into mine. I tightened my grip slightly, hoping to reassure myself about this as much as I was trying to reassure him.

"I'm sure he's doing fine babe," Jake said softly, kissing my temple as we reached the door. We entered the hospital and headed up to the floor where my dad was. Seth looked like he was about to fall apart, so I reached out for him. Thankfully, he caught on and took my hand so I didn't look quite as ridiculous.

"He's doing better Seth, really," I said softly as we stood in the waiting room, awaiting Sue's arrival so we could go see him. It took her a few more minutes, but she did come in search of us.

"Hi guys," Sue said. "He's in pretty rough shape still and we can't have more than two back there at a time. I'm going to take Allie back and when she is done, I will come get whoever wishes to be next."

I kissed Jake's cheek quickly before heading back to my dad's room.

"Hey kiddo," he said the second we walked in.

"Hey Dad," I said. "I love you so much."

"I love you too Alessandra. I know I don't tell you enough," he said.

"How're you feeling?" I asked.

"Pretty beat up actually," he said. I smiled softly at him.

"Yeah, I bet," I said.

"I'll be back in fighting shape in no time," he said.

"Yeah Dad, I'm sure that is just what the doctors want," I said. He smiled softly, clearly not in the mood to laugh.

I sat down and talked to him for a while before deciding to let my siblings and my boyfriend visit him so he could get some sleep.