16 || I'm Done Waiting

"What part of don't call me didn't you understand?" He barked into the phone instead of greeting Casey with a casual hello. This morning, she and Gabe went to his business meetings as soon as Marty and Bethany joined them. The meetings lasted all morning and late afternoon. Both she and Gabe were tired but instead of going home and going to bed, they showered and went their separate ways to link up with their friends. After arriving back to their room from the beach yesterday, Gabe and Casey couldn't stay away from each other. They went round from round until the early morning. Thriving off only a few hours of sleep, they were both in their feelings about last night and determined to have a few drinks to ease that tension. Casey felt like she shouldn't have allowed it to go that far since she was unsure of their future and not being completely honest with him at the moment. Gabe could sense something was off with Case and was frustrated with her for not talking to him about it.

"Unless it's absolutely necessary." She sighed. "You said don't call you unless it was absolutely necessary. And it is very much so." She said with as much displeasure in her tone as was in his. She didn't want to be making this call either but she had to admit that she couldn't move forward without him. She needed him, now more than ever.

"I'm willing to bet my last dime this shit isn't absolutely necessary. What is it Nellie?" He asked calling her by the name he gave her: Nellie, a play on her middle name, Danielle.

"It's time." She sighed again after hearing herself admit that. He always told her that one day she would be calling him needing his help, as usual, but this time would be when she realized her destiny, her purpose, implying politics. He always pictured Casey somewhere in the legislature, writing the laws. Casey would always laugh it off with a nonchalant "Never."

"Its time?" He asked sarcastically. "You shitting me! Ya affairs aint in order and you just wasted a call on some bullshit. You don't have too many free ones left, Nellie." He reminded her with the attitude very visible in his tone.

"I'm working on it." She responded sounding defeated.

"Working on it? Ya life is pretty fucked up Nellie. You packed ya shit and dipped ship over a nigga that I warned you wasn't ready for you and all of your shit. You left anyway, like a dummy. Get there, starting dating some other nigga, he breaks in ya shit, damn near rapes yo dumb ass, you kill em, call me talking about you needed my help. Now you back to chasing this no good ass nigga that proposed to yo dumb ass on national tv and embarrassed your ass publicly a few days before you gave birth to his son. Then, yo dumb ass responds by going to some other other nigga's game hooting and hollering for this nigga only to be seen in LA with ya ex fiance' slash baby daddy days later. Yeah, ya life is pretty fucked up Nellie, if I do say so myself. So nah, it aint time, sweetheart." He responded with the condescending tone quite evident.

There was a brief pause before Casey sighed and then responded. "Funny how the same nigga that told me not to call him is clocking my moves like the true fucking stalker he is. You know just as well as I know, my nigga, that it's time. I'm wrapping up a few loose ends and then I'll announce. I was giving you a courtesy call but I see that was not warranted."

"A courtesy call? Nah, you called, my girl, because you either wanted my advice or needed my help. I'm still waiting on you to explain what the fuck you called me for cause aint none of this shit absolutely necessary." He responded dragging the end of his sentence to emphasize his point.

"First, I never need you for shit. Second, you wanted to know my next move so I'm telling you before I tell everyone else. Simple."

He sighed obviously over her stubbornness and proceeded with the conversation despite that. "You need to wait a few years. Give us some time to tie up those loose ends. Announce in two years, win primaries, elected in three, in your seat in four. Perfect timing for you and that no good ass nigga to get yall shit together too."