Meet and Greet

"Rise and shine, big boy! Ready for your first day?"
"Nigga, back up off me."

Sunday was chill but Monday was my first day at my new job. I didn't need Damario's reminder.

"I'mma give you a ride, just let me get dressed."
"Aiight, thanks," I said before I rolled onto my back.

Damario's couch was comfortable for now but I can feel this shit was about to be getting old real quick.

The day was already starting to get hot, the usual for Shoreview, but...

"Am I losing it or is it hotter in Section 1?" I asked from the passenger side of Damario's car.

The windows were rolled down, a warm breeze slapping me in the face.
Damario shook his head.

"Nah... you not losing it, it is, nigga. Shit's weird."
I was surprised how active the streets were starting to become.
"Gonna be a hot one," D remarked.

Mrs. Davis didn't go over it with me but I figured that I wouldn't start working with the students until around 2:30, since the school year was still going. I started to wonder if I needed to be this early everyday for work.

The first person I saw after D dropped me off was the receptionist. It was the same chick from before. She was a dark skinned girl, a little on the heavy side, with a long, straight black wig on. Today she had on black lipstick. She wasn't a bad looking woman but she did have an air of attitude about her. She was filing her nails when I approached. I cleared my throat.

"I see you," she said without looking at me and kept filing her nails.
I gave a light chuckle, at this point it was just funny to me.
"What's your name? They don't have a name plate for you?" I asked and looked around.
She quickly turned something over and looked up at me.
"Nosey," she replied.
I smiled at her.
"I work here now, got to know your name at some point."

She just eyed me and pointed for me to go on down the hallway. Alright, I'll play this little game with her.

"Mr. Leslie, good to see you again," Mrs. Davis says as I walk into her office.
"Good morning."

She cheesed at me with her eyes closed, she was giving me the impression that something was coming.

"I'm going to drop you in the middle of something," she says.

Uh oh.

"Nothing too serious it's just we're planning on giving the high school students their end of the year field trip. They go on field trips through out the year but at the end of the school year they go on a extravagant one. Can get pretty pricey depending on how many students are attending. I'm going to work with you on scheduling trip dates and paperwork."
"How many students are typically in the program?"
"At the most, approximately 45, 50, in your group alone which isn't a lot for how big the high schools are. There are 3 high schools by the way, staff make their rounds picking them up and bringing them here around 3:30. You will mostly stay here all day.
Group C is what we call the high schoolers. We have 5 staff members in that group. You will get to know them, talk to them, even give them tasks but most importantly manage their work schedules and hours. They don't show up until 1:30-2.
I'll introduce you but there's Stacey, Marcus, Jerome, Brie and Dana'i."

I nodded my head, trying to remember the names.

"There are other staff members for Groups A and B but like I may have mentioned they have their own Coordinator. Now," she turns back to her computer screen. "Let me print out this paperwork."

I worked with her for hours, mainly going over the end of the year field trip. They were taking them down to Disney Land in California, a nice little bus ride. We went over the expenses, made phone calls. It was a lot. It lasted a lot longer than I thought it would.