Chapter 30

"Stop shaking."

"Paul, that's you." I looked down to our intertwined hands with a small chuckle, though I felt the same amount of nervousness deep in the pit of my stomach as we approached my house from the sidewalk.

"Right." He pursed his lips into a thin line.

"Don't be scared. Regardless of their thoughts, I'm standing by your side. I'm just telling them I'm moving back to London." I smiled making his shoulders relax slightly with a firm nod.

"Martha probably should've waited in the car." Paul grinned more at ease as he watched Martha rolling around in some grass not too far ahead of us.

"No, she seems to be a good luck charm for us." I grinned watching as Paul let out a small laugh.

"I suppose she is." Paul smiled back fondly.

We walked up to the door of the house, the two of us barley being able to speak much at all. The panting of Martha's breath kept silence from creeping up on the two of us, a tension thick enough to cut through with a knife threatening to send the two of us running to London without notifying either of my parents.

"Right, remember, I'm not letting you go." I said in a low whisper as I put my hand on the door handle, flinching at it coldness, a shiver coming up my spine of fear of the scene that would play out.

I knew my father would never approve regardless if Paul was a Beatle of not, he liked having control over my life and this would be like cutting the last ties of him hanging over me, my previous move to London only being temporary in my fathers eyes. This seemed much more permanent, something I knew would make my father's blood boil.

"And I'm not leaving without you." He spoke with extreme seriousness, causing a large grin to tug my lips upwards.

Slowly, I opened the door not yet seeing anyone from the entranceway but hearing my father's warm greeting.

"Charlotte Gray, if you think I'm running some sort of brothel my apologies but you're sorely mistaken, I won't have you running off to god knows-" He began in a fit of rage until finally he appeared in front of us, his face already as red as a tomato.

My mother came quickly down from upstairs.

"Oh Robert, st-" She began but halted with a different reaction then my father, a small smile peaking on her lips.

My father straightened out, fixing his tie before he began to speak.

"I know who you are." My father narrowed his eyes at Paul distastefully.

"Part of that band that's better then Jesus ay?" My father smirked just to step on toes.

"Stop." I warned my father.

"Sir, I apologize for what you've heard in the media, but they've got it all wrong. And I apologize if I'm not who you pictured your daughter being with, but, we love each other." Paul seemed to get a sudden spurt of bravery, my father's smirk turning into a scowl.

"Then why did she come running back home?" He asked to further irritate Paul and I.

"Because of what you put me through. I never wanted to marry William, so I ran. Excuse me if that creates future trust problems." I felt myself giving my dad the reaction he probably wanted from me.

"I'm moving back to London." I calmed myself, speaking flatly so there wasn't room to say no.

I saw my mother about to say something in support when my dad interrupted.

"Fine, you've already been a disgrace long enough to this family. Just know if this little, thing, doesn't work out for you, you're not running back to this house. As far as I'm concerned, go on and live off the streets, I'm done." He scoffed with his arms folded over his chest.

His words plunged themselves into my heart, my eyes immediately welled up with tears in shock that he would say something so horrible. I looked at my mother who hung her head silently, and I knew she wouldn't say anything to cross my father's wishes.  

"Well, I have a feeling this 'thing' might just work itself out, so, sir, we better be on our way back to London." Paul said as he lead me back out of the door because I could barely keep myself from falling and breaking down in tears.

I watched as Martha's head hung sadly as she walked at the same pace beside the two of us.

"I'm so sorry Charlie." Paul stopped right in front of the car, lifting my chin to meet my eyes, taking a look at the tears threatening to fall.

He immediately brought me into a well needed hug, allowing me to let the tears fall freely from my eyes.

"Let's go home Charlie." Paul said rubbing his hands along m back.

I nodded breaking away from him, a weak grin peaking on my lips.

                            _____________________

The car ride back to London was spent in a heavy silence as my father's words hung over my head. I felt sick to my stomach almost the entire time and Paul seemed very understanding because he was content to just sit beside me without pushing any conversation further.

I walked beside Paul and Martha back inside what was now our home, taking it in fully with a deep breath and a small grin. It seemed like this would be a change for the better.

"Coming?" Paul inquired with a smile looking back to me as he opened the door for Martha.

"Yes." I nodded giving him a weak smile, hurrying to catch up to him.

"Make yourself comfortable in the living room love, Ill fetch us a drink, its been a long day." Paul sighed placing a small kiss on my neck from behind me after we had walked in, before disappearing in the kitchen.

I nodded with my grin falling once he was out of sight, my father's word slipping back into mind.

I walked over to the television and flicked on a news station before going to sink in the couch, scared the silence would be suffocating.

When Paul came back into sight, he had two wine glasses in one hand and a wine bottle in the other, with a goofy grin.

I shook my head with a small chuckle as he came to sit beside me on the couch, placing everything on the table and looking over to me with a sympathetic grin.

"You know," Paul said while popping the cork "If you want to talk about anything at all," he trailed off as he poured wine into each glass.

"It's really alright." I said choking back my sadness.

"Let's focus on our future, just like you said." I forced a distraction, tired of letting my father making me feel guilty.

"Alright." Paul grinned putting down the wine bottle and turning towards me to talk.

Impulsively I took his face into my hands and kissed him longingly, feeling him reciprocate the kiss gently, as if afraid I were about to break.

I quickly depend the kiss, pulling him on top of me as I sank down into the couch, feeling him become more comfortable as he began to run his hands through my hair.

I began to unbutton Paul's shirt, feeling him pull away from me for a moment.

"Are you sure, you're, okay right now to-" He spoke breathlessly.

I leaned up and pressed my lips onto his once again, that seeming to be the sort of reassurance he needed. He began to unbutton his shirt hastily, his hot breath against my neck as he began a trail of kisses down to my collar bone.

Before I could fully let myself get lost in Paul's embrace, something from the television froze me from going further.

"Earlier today Maggie McGivern was spotted leaving from Paul McCartney's house, causing fans to believe things between McCartney and his new girlfriend Charlotte Gray may not be going as smoothly as we were to previously believe." The reporter spoke, making me every inch of my body to tense up as I watched Paul jump back to stare at the television where a paparazzi was taking video of Maggie's departure.

I laid staring at the television in disbelief.

"Charlie-" Paul began.

"How could you?"