20. Downpour.

Jacob leads the wizards up the stairwell from the subway with the glow of dawn shining above them. Rain continues to pour heavily over the now quiet city streets. A couple of aurors are spotted still working on restoring the calamity of hours prior.

The no-maj stops at the front of the canopy shielding them from the enchanted droplets. Queenie reaches for his hand, stopping him from progressing into the sun shower. He turns to gaze at her with affection in his round eyes.

"Hey. Hey, this is for the best. I mean... I was-I was never suppose to be here and do the things I did." He chokes trying to justify the reality of the last three days.

Queenie's eyes linger with remorse about the outcome. The remaining three observe them with sadness on their faces.

"I was never supposed to be any part of this. Or know who... Who you guys really are. Newt only kept me around for- wait... Newt, why did you keep me around?" He trails breaking his concentration of Queenie to Newt.

The wizard bites his lower lip.

"Because I like you. Because you're my friend and I'll never forget how you helped me, Jacob." The wizard's response is sincere.

Jacob pouts overcome with emotion by Newt's words.

"Oh." He gasps, choking on the word.

Queenie moves closer to Jacob and stands close to him.

"I'll come with you! We'll go somewhere. Anywhere! Cause- I ain't never gonna find anyone else like you." She laughs through her tears smiling at him.

He brushes her comments off.

"There's loads like me."

"No... No. There's only you who's like you."

The air is heavy, almost unbearable to lose a dear friend.

"I gotta go," Jacob says turning towards the rain.

"Jacob!" Newt calls, following after him.

He stops forcing himself to smile to lighten the mood.

"It's okay... It's okay... It's like... Waking up, right?"

They all smile back at him assuring it'll be alright.

"You will do great things, Jacob. We'll check in. Every once in a while." Esther comments.

Jacob smiles briefly at her before he submerges himself into the rain. He stretches out his arms in a dramatic motion and looks up to the sky with closed eyes. The droplets wash over his face.

Queenie creates an umbrella from her wand and follows after him. She stands before him and caresses his cheek. She closes her eyes and brings her lips to his in a soft kiss. She pulls away slowly, knowing he won't remember, but she will forever. She slips back under the terrace refusing him to leave her sight. Esther links her fingers with her best friends.

Jacob opens his eyes and surveys his surroundings. How did he get here? Why is he standing in the rain? He shakes off his confusion and carries on through the streets.

Queenie sniffles down the streets with Newt, Tina, and Esther while holding hands with her best friend. Esther squeezes her palm to comfort her.

"We need to get you on the next ship back to London," Tina says.

Newt looks back at Tina, understanding the urgency behind her words.

"Do you think it could wait until tomorrow?" Esther mumbles.

A beat.

"As much as I'd love to follow the orders of the Congress Esther has a point. We've all endured quite a bit in the last couple of days. I swear I'll get on the next boat after everyone has rested." Newt compromises.