Chapter 4

A couple days later, Amber woke up. She got out of her bed and got ready for school. She changed into a purple hoodie, jeans, and converse shoes. She headed downstairs and walked into the kitchen. She saw Bella eating breakfast.

"Where's Dad?" She asked.

"Not sure." Bella said. "I guess he went into work already."

"Oh ok." Amber said. She grabbed a pop tart and sat at the table, eating. When she and Bella finished breakfast, Amber threw her trash away and picked up bag. She was about to head outside, when she realized she forgot to take her medicine this morning.

"I'll be right out." Amber said, running up the stairs. "I need to take my medicine."

"Ok, I'll go out and get the truck started." Bella said. Amber grabbed her water bottle and took her medicine. She heard a car door slam and looked out the window, seeing her father. She then saw Bella slip on the ice and fall. Amber grabbed her bag and water bottle and rushed downstairs.

"Are you ok, Bella?" Amber asked as she walked outside.

Charlie was helping her up. "Yeah. Ice doesn't really help the uncoordinated." Bella said.

"I got some new tires for the truck." Charlie said. "Old ones were getting pretty bald."

"Thanks." Bella said. "

Well, I'll probably be late for dinner tonight." Charlie said. "A security guard down in Nathan's county mill was killed by an animal."

"An animal?" Amber asked.

"You aren't in Phoenix anymore, girls." Charlie said, before getting in the cruiser.

Amber got in the driver side as Bella got in the passenger seat. Amber started the truck, pulled out of the driveway and headed to school. When they got to the school, Amber parked the car and the two of them got out. Before they headed inside, they looked at the snow tires that their dad put on.

All of a sudden, they heard tires screeching and looked up to see a van coming right towards Amber and Bella. Amber thought the van was going to crush them, but Edward came out nowhere and stopped the van from hitting them with his hand. Amber looked between Edward and his hand, shocked. She didn't know how he was able to do that. She was about to ask him, but he got up and walked away. A crowd of people formed around them. Among the commotion, she heard sirens and ambulance arrived. She guessed someone had called 911. Paramedics loaded them into the ambulance. A few minutes later, Amber and Bella were on a bed in the ER.

"Bella. Amber." They heard their dad say as he came into the ER. "Are you two alright?"

"Yeah." Bella said.

"You and I are going to have a talk." Charlie said looking at Tyler Crowley, who had been the one that almost hit the girls.

"I'm so sorry Bella and Amber." Tyler said, apologizing. "I tried to stop."

"We know." Bella said.

"It's ok." said Amber.

"No, it's sure as hell not ok." Charlie said.

"Dad, it's not his fault." Amber said.

"You two could have been killed." Charlie said, looking at Bella and Amber. "Do you understand that?"

"Yes." Bella said. "But we weren't. So."

"I heard the Chief's daughters were here?" They heard someone say. Amber saw it was Dr. Cullen. He went over to them. "Isabella and Amber." He said, looking at the chart.