twenty-eight

Outside the cinema, after the film, Jared and Willa sat on the car park wall just talking. It was dark on the outskirts of the cinema lights, and cold with approaching autumn. Willa was wearing her leather jacket again, still clutching a coke and chewing on the straw as Jared talked.

     They were more cautious than they’d been around each other before, tiptoeing where before they’d strode brashly. The film’d been alright. Jared didn’t remember that much of it (he’d had other things on his mind, okay? He really hadn’t actually liked anyone in ages).

    “My sister’s coming to collect me,” said Willa after a bit. She looked up at him, offered a smile. “You want a lift?”

     Jared shook his head.

    “Nah. S’okay; Isaac said he’d pick me up. Thanks though.”

     Willa just looked at him for a moment and then said,

    “You’re pretty lucky to have that guy as a best friend.”

     Jared started. His thoughts jumbled a second and then he gathered them enough to say,

    “We’re not best friends. We’re barely even friends. I mean, we hardly know each other. I only met him like, a month ago. Or something.”

    “I don’t have any friends like that,” Willa said, completely ignoring his denial. “Seriously, you’re lucky. It’s nice to have people who understand you.”

    “Isaac doesn’t-”

    “Yeah, yeah. Whatever.” She grinned at him. “God forbid a guy have feelings.” A pause. She hopped off the wall and, throwing her coke cup in the bin, turned around to him with hands deep in her pockets. “You wanna do this again?”

     Jared smiled, widely.

    God yes, he thought, and said,

    “Sure.”