32. welcome to the tombs

 welcome to the tombs

MILO

     HE LOOKED AROUND THE CELL HE HAD been calling home for a few weeks now. He barely had any belongings. The prison suit lay crumbled up in a ball in the corner, Rick had found clothes on one of his runs and had given them to Milo.

Throwing the small backpack he'd packed over his shoulder he scanned the cell one last time before turning on his heels and walking away.

The plan they'd come up with was far from bad but it wasn't perfect either. All of them were convinced the Governor would try to hit them again and so they packed all their stuff and would hide the cars in the woods, making him think they left. Then they would attack, hopefully surprising him.

Milo was anxious to get it over with. It was awful to just sit here and speculate about what was going to happen. He wanted it done so they could move on.

He walked outside, placing his bag in the trunk of the car when his eyes fell on Quinn. She was helping Carl with placing a few of the heavier backpacks in another car. The circles under her eyes were visible even from this distance. Merle's death had hit her harder than she let anyone know. Milo didn't understand why at first. The man had been a danger to them all and he was almost glad he was gone. But when he'd thought about it, really thought about it, he understood. Merle had been a representation of her past, something familiar to look to in the chaos of this new world.

That thought had hurt him, but it also made sense. He had changed, being locked in a cafeteria for ten months changed a person. He wasn't the same as before, meaning he couldn't provide her the same comfort as before. But maybe now, with Merle gone, she would be able to leave her past behind her. He hoped she would, so she could become the person he'd always known she could be.

She must've noticed him looking at her because when she had loaded the last bag in the car she walked over to him, her hands burried in the pockets of her jacket.

He offered her a small smile but she didn't even bother to return it. 'Be careful,' she told him. He nodded at her and pulled her into a hug. Her body was tense as she returned it, almost as if she was scared to touch him. He let her go, studying her face as her eyes were turned to the ground.