Ch 6 - Social Engagements and Set Downs

Copyright to VedaPettigrew

An hour into the busy soiree, Rosannah was pleased that despite her protestations, her husband had not left her side.

He glowered at any man who tried to entice her into separate conversation, ignored any woman who tried to take his attentions, and refused his mother's pleas to separate and socialise around the room.

Only those who would speak to them as a couple were tolerated.

Delight suffused through her as she experienced his loving protection. She continually squeezed his arm and subtly pressed her body against his in acknowledgement and thanks. In return, he discretely pressed his thigh against hers, all the while glaring down at her with dark eyes, unsmiling and cantankerous to all who witnessed them. An occasional glint in his eye forced her to bite upon her lip to keep her amusement from showing.

Rosannah heard gossiping whispers surrounding them that determined their marriage had not changed his black heart at all. Sorrowful looks were cast her way and she could hardly keep from giggling. "It seems you have started your reign as the tyrant very well," she whispered so only he could hear.

"Anything to please my wife," he murmured back.

They were experiencing a lull in attention because he had determinedly steered them to a column that caused a barrier beside them, therefore ensuring access to their presence was limited. She breathed a sigh of relief at the respite.

A wicked thought passed her mind and trying to keep the gleam from her eye, she decided to see if she could topple his control.

"Look at me please," she tilted her head to see him, commanding her expression to remain neutral. He acquiesced and looked sternly at her, brows drawn.

"Yes?"

"I wanted to let you know in unequivocal terms," she kept her lips as still as possible, making it impossible for anyone to read them should they be watching, "how much I utterly love and adore you."

Emotion blazed in his eyes, and she saw him struggle to keep his features immobile, his jaw clenched. She giggled internally, this was fun.

"Sorry, perhaps I should have warned you of my intentions before I spoke." She looked at him regally, maintaining her disaffected appearance. "I shall do so now." She casually turned her head as if viewing her surroundings, but really to check there was no-one close enough to hear. Returning her gaze to him she murmured, "I intend to shock you."

She paused and he nodded, arching his eyebrow in a haughty manner. Despite his uncompromising countenance, she read the humour behind his hard stare.

"I find I cannot stop thinking of our afternoon in the carriage." She was satisfied to see his eyes flare alongside a sharp intake of breath. "It was more than heavenly do you not think?" She kept her voice low so her individual words could not be heard by anyone else, yet was proud of the casual tone she managed to achieve.

The muscles on Henry's jaw were clenching profusely. He drew his brows down and to anyone else he looked furious, yet she discovered his thunderous expression only managed to increase her ardour.

She informed him so and elaborated, "... it makes me feel faint with desire and now I am also imagining what we shall be doing upon our return to my chambers." She curled one side of her lip, bestowing him with a secretive smile.

She felt the muscles in his arm flexing, his expression darkened and desire heated his eyes. Seemingly casual, she sipped her wine, giving her the excuse to run her tongue over her top lip before biting the imaginary liquid from the bottom.