Chapter 17 - Invitations

Hoseok announced that a celebration would be held in the evening, and Jin had been grumbling all day about preparations. You offered your help, not out of generosity, but because you needed something to distract you. Jin sent you to the gardens to collect whatever small vegetables were available for dinner that night.

Regardless of your work, you replayed yesterday over and over again in your head, analyzing everything Namjoon had done or said.

The Namjoon you knew would have never set foot in a brothel. Namjoon was honorable. Old-fashioned. Loved by everyone and a role model for those who depended on him.

But Captain Kim wasn't. Captain Kim was stone-faced and spoken badly about. He was feared and taunted.

How could Namjoon change so much in only five years?

You replayed the moment he tore your veil, genuine disappointment and anger mingled in his dark eyes.

Don't you dare call her that...

He was so quick to grab Hoseok's throat at the word whore, but then he used it himself when you were alone.

You escaped to become a goddamn whore?

Your stomach sank as you adjusted the soil beneath your hands. You had never seen Namjoon so quick to anger. He was always so patient and diplomatic...

But he wasn't Namjoon anymore. He wasn't.

You knew it. You repeated it. Nothing you said to yourself, however, dimmed the memory of the farmer's son who wanted to change the world.

"You didn't come to me."

You looked up to the new voice. Yoongi chewed on his cheek, leaning against one of the trees near the gardens.

"I didn't need to. You're always lurking somewhere," you replied. "At least I'm dressed this time."

He dipped his head as he smiled and stepped forward.

"Did you get the information I wanted?" he asked.

You stared at him for a long time, debating what to say. You had thought about it for awhile, and now you had to find the nerve to actually say it.

"Why should I?" you replied.

Yoongi raised an eyebrow at you. "You don't want your brother?"

"How do I know you'll deliver?" you said, standing up and brushing the dirt from your knees. "Hoseok takes care of me. He's shown me what he can do for me. All you've done is made an empty promise. How do I know you can be trusted?"

He cocked his head to the side in thought, seemingly amused. "The only reason Hoseok provides for you is because I approve it. Anything you have is because of me."

You tried not to clench your hands. Hoseok could read your emotions when you did it. Yoongi could have been just as smart.

"Prove it," you said.

He chuckled, stepping towards you. "I'm not bargaining with you, woman. You can either trust me and give me the information I want, or I can make it miserable for you."

"You're not exactly making it lavish as we speak."

His lip twitched. "I can make it worse."

You dropped your head down, looking at the dirt under your nails. "What will you do with the information?"

"That's my business."

"Why do you need me to work for you when there are at least fifty other men that can give you what you want?"