17. Get In, Loser

I woke up to my pillow vibrating. Reaching my hand underneath I pulled out my phone, groaning at the bright light that burned my eyes.

"Hello?" I grumbled into the phone.

"Um...why do you sound like you're still asleep?"

Bee. Shit. It was Saturday morning and I had to drive her to her audition. After my mom yelled at me, I buried myself in homework and then crashed. I completely forgot about the promise I made.

"I'm up," I told her, not even attempting to actually remove myself from the bed or keep my eyes open.

"Jade, the audition is in three hours," she snapped. It was obvious the nerves had her on edge. "Wakey-wakey, woman!"

Thirty minutes later I was showered and dressed in white jeans and a light blue tank. My hair was done up its usual puff and my make-up was minimal, adding only what I needed to hide my lack of sleep.

Mom was making eggs for Taylor, who sat in her highchair drinking water from her sippy cup. I almost didn't want to approach my mother as she stood over the stove.

"Good morning." I tried to sound bright and happy, like last night never happened.

"Morning," she replied, scooping eggs onto a plate and setting it in front of Taylor.

When she turned to me I noticed she looked like she hadn't had much sleep either. "I called about the job at Kevin's office. My interview is on Monday."

A smile stretched across my face. "Really?"

She nodded, wrapping her yellow robe tighter around her. "About last night, I didn't mean to yell at you. I don't want you to think that I can't handle things on my own."

"Mom, I know you can handle things by yourself, but you don't have to."

"I know." She smiled. "I appreciate you wanting to help. It's just, this is your last year of high school. You should be out with friends making memories. Not worrying about a job."

I wanted to tell her that all I did was worry. That the bare cabinets, empty fridge and past due bills were all I could think about. As I looked at her face, the worry lines in her forehead and tired eyes, I knew telling her would only make her feel worse.

She was doing the best she could with what she was given. I didn't want her to doubt herself, not anymore at least.

Before I left to pick up Bee I made the choice to play the part of the typical teen who lived carelessly. If I could pull that off in between having a part time job and a part time boyfriend.

* * *

"Blue or red?" Bee held up two summer dresses. Both were the same style: cut just above the knee with off the shoulder ruffles up top. "The uniform color at Tri-Slice is blue, but I look damn good in red. Would the blue make me look like a kiss ass, though? Maybe red is too sexy."

I clamped my hands on Bee's shoulders to stop her from pacing. "Breathe. You remember how that goes, right? In and out."

"I'm freaking, J. What if I don't get the part?" Her eyes doubled in size. "What if I do get the part? My mom would bury me. Right under her roses!"

"You're still not breathing."

Bee let out a huge breath, like she hadn't taken one in while. Honestly, she hadn't. She'd been doing a lot a pacing around her room and mumbling worse case scenarios.

I glanced at the time on the clock that hung on her wall. We had less than two hours to get to her audition. I needed to get this situation under control.