Chapter 25.

Its the day of Kimberly's birthday, bittersweet for August since it's also the anniversary of his ex-fiancé Sabrina's passing. Of course, her family will be there for the cook out; seeing them always brings a little pain to him. However this year he was a little less sad because of Rebecca being in the picture.

"How's it going old man? What you smiling about," Becca said walking into the kitchen with purple streamers in her hand.

He looked up from his ribs that he just took out the fridge after marinating all night, "Dont worry bout dat shawty and I aint old."

"Keep telling yourself that." She sat on the stool in front of him. "So where is the princess?"

"She is out with Sabrina's family," August said grabbing his secret sauce for the ribs. "They always fly in from Cali for her birthday. I'm supposed to meet up with them to go put flowers on Sabrina's grave but this year I'm going alone when I'm ready later on today. "

"Thats really nice. How are you feeling by the way?" Becca asked.

"I'm alright this year for some reason," He looked up smiling at her. "After I throw these ribs on the grill, I'll help you set up the pool area."

"Yeah that would be helpful. I didn't know you cooked. I have a caterer coming." Becca said walking to the backyard.

"Fuck no I don't cook. Making ribs is the only thang I know how ta do besides make eggs and toast," August laughed following her outside.

"I thought so." She laughed. " I have never seen you even attempt to cook."

"And you won't besides these ribs." August laughed throwing the ribs on the grill.

August got the ribs going then proceeded to help decorate the back yard and set up tables. Eventually Becca's best friend Vanessa came over to help and the caterers came with food.

"Rebecca the DJ just arrived where would you like him to set up," Vanessa said carrying her one year old son Jaden  into the kitchen.

"Have him set up in the back cabana. It's the only area with outlets." she saw baby Jaden's eyes flutter open and she couldn't help but reach for him, "Aww come here my little sleepy baby! Oh you are so cute!" she spoke to him in baby talk as Vanessa handed him off. He rubbed his eyes and smiled at the familiar voice.

"I'll go tell the DJ where to go while you change his diaper!" Vanessa quickly exited.

"You're mama think she so slick doesn't she? Yes she does! Uh yes she does!" Becca cooed at the baby as she change his diaper.

August came through the back door and watched Becca as she finished changing the baby . He knew she was great with Kimberly, but he figured it's because they'd developed a bond; watching her with a baby made him admire her even more. He walked into the room as Becca picked Jaden up.

"Don't drop him!" August joked.

"Boy bye! I would never drop anything as adorable as this chubby little love muffin!" she hugged him close.

"I see you know a lil somethin about takin care of babies. When you plan on having some of ya own?" August said grabbing some water.

"I don't even know," Becca started, heating up water for Cameron's bottle, "For a long time I didn't even think I would ever have kids because I honestly didn't feel totally comfortable around them. Until recently, I don't know, things have changed. "

It felt good for August to hear that, "Yea your biological clock is tickin! You gettin old!" he joked, trying to cover his true feelings.

Becca laughed brushing him off.