▪13▪

DAY 42
B.E.A.R. LABORATORIES
LEVEL 5

Veronica awakes to a large hand gently stroking the contours of her face. Across her brow, over her eyelids, fingertips ghosting over her her pink lips. Her eyes flutter open to be met with deep brown ones.

Theseus stares down at his beautiful mate in his arms. He has waited years--centuries--for her and now he finally has her. He had been watching her sleeping form for a while now. Part of him knew it was less than proper to do so--just as it was less than appropriate to have her sleep in his bed--but he could then neither find the willpower to leave her to her own room last night, nor to tear his eyes away from her goddess-like features now.

He had waited so long to have her with him. It was only fair that he should get to spend as much time with her as he wanted. He looks into her beautiful eyes, nearly losing himself in their green depths. He knew she would be angry at him for letting her fall asleep in his cell again, but he couldn't find it in himself to care. Just like he couldn't find it in himself to care that he was an experiment. As long as she was with him, he would be content.

He knows he is an experiment. He knows they want to do things to him that are less than desirable, they already have in some cases. He spent an entire year being poked and prodded, but it was all worth it. Even now, he is perfectly content staying here, as long as his Vee is with him.

He knows they were quite baffled when they realized he didn't age. You see, a wolf becomes ageless when they meet full maturity. They are immortal, that is, until they meet their mate. When a wolf finally meets their mate, the aging process starts again and they age just like their human counterparts. Theseus witnessed his parents' passing of old age.

He watched as his siblings and friends found their mates, had their children, died... He was the only one left. It was like that for two centuries. All of that pain he endured watching his family slowly withering away, and he should have gone with them. He should have had his mate by his side to age with. He wanted to have pups, grandpups, to have grey hair. He wanted to breath his last along with the rest of his family and friends. But alas, he was left alone. No mate, no children, and an infinite life span.

He was so overcome with the longing for his mate, he lost control. He spent endless amounts of days searching--scouring the land for his mate. His wolf had full control, prohibiting him from turning to his human form. He would cry out in howls every night, aching--longing for his beloved. He thought she was dead, or maybe he wasn't good enough to have a mate.

When the humans found him, he gave up. He was ready for death--anything to escape this hell of a reality. Maybe they will kill him, he thought. Maybe they will end my misery--my suffering.

They didn't, though. A year later and he was still alive, just this time he was human again. It wasn't until that one fateful day--the day that changed everything.

He caught her scent. It was the most amazing thing. He knew what it was the moment he smelled it. Lavender and honey, the sweetest, most desirable scent. He could hardly contain his excitement. He spent hours pacing back and forth, wondering what she would look like, act like, talk like. Everything he wanted--longed for--was just above him.

He no longer had the patience to deal with the humans who kept him captive. He wanted her--needed her, and nothing was going to stop him. Nothing.

Finally, after many days of trying, he escaped his cell. He was worried that she was an experiment like him. He was worried they had hurt her; however, those thoughts quickly left his mind when he saw her.

Her back was to him, her long red hair cascading down her shoulders in perfect waves. She was running away from him, trying to get to the large metal doors that were slowly closing. Fortunately for him, she didn't make it in time before the doors shut completely, causing her to turn towards him.