Chapter 80: Fourth Life - Lovers' Quarrel

Master pulled me outside the theater, onto the busy road. Once we reached the street, Master let go of my wrist. I found it to be the perfect moment to place the bamboo holder into my sleeve. Gu Yi was going to be so ecstatic that I got Qin Yu's sign for him!

Acknowledging Master's presence at last, I asked, "Eh, Master. How did you know I was here?"

Staring at the road, Master said, "I had to check every corner of the city four times to find you. Do you know how many times I inspected the entirety of Shui Jing Mountain for you?" Master's voice was getting increasingly louder. People actually stopped their pacing and stared at him before becoming intimidated and quickly scurrying.

"Master, are you mad? People are staring..."

"I'm fine." Finally looking me in the eyes, the fury in his tone and his facial expression lessened. "You look different."

Remembering that Qin Yu helped me put on makeup and allowed me to wear a fancy dress, I bashfully brushed a strand of hair behind my ear.

"I do?"

"You have too much makeup on."

Oh?

Was I really expecting a compliment from him?! I should have know better!

"Well, I think I look great. Qin Yu even said so."

"He said that? Really?"

"Yes! And he helped me put on this dress!" Now bystanders were staring at me.

"Rong Xin!" Master became flustered.

"What?"

"You're not allowed to do that."

"Not allowed to do what?!"

"Not allowed to have another man see your body."

Gasping, I placed my hands over my mouth. "Master!!"

How could you?!

"Why would you say that?!" Embarrassed to the core, I wandered away from him in a random direction.

I only meant Qin Yu helped by picking out the dress! Oh my God, I have to get away! These people might remember my face!

After walking for awhile, I realized that Master was not coming after me.

Good, I can't take him anymore.

Venturing into a store, I wanted to take a look at some makeup that I could buy and practice using at home.

Oh, my! This little face powder is ten silver taels.

"Hi there, Miss! Interested in buying anything?" The old male shopkeeper approached me from behind the counter.

Without much money on me, I had to decline his service, "I'm just browsing, thank you."

His wrinkly face grew annoyed, and he twitched his moustache impatiently. "I knew it. I knew you didn't have the money when you stepped foot in here. Go. Go. Go. You're the type that can only afford the door."

Pushing me with his hands, the shopkeeper tried to escort me out.

"Hey! Don't touch me."

Not listening to a word I said, he insisted on having me leave. "Didn't you hear me? I said leave!"

After telling me to get out, he started to whimper in pain. "Oooh! Ow, ow!"

W-- Woah!

Master was standing right in between us, crushing the man's wrist in his hold. "She told you not to touch her."

"Ow! Please! Please let go!"

"Master!" I pleaded with him. Master took one sharp look at me from the corner of his eyes and pushed the man's hand away.

"Who said she didn't bring money?" Master heavily placed down a gold tael onto the counter. The shopkeeper's eyes immediately brightened and he began welcoming Master and I to his store, completely forgetting that Master was about to crush his bones.

"Please take a look at what you want. This old fool is too stupid! Please, Miss. I'm terribly sorry."

"Ah, okay."

Master's powers were too strong that the old shopkeeper kept rubbing around his wrist. I was afraid due to one mistake, he was going to forever experience chronic pain in that part of his hand. Well, at least now he would no longer be so rude to poor people.

"So you're fine with me buying makeup?" I asked Master, trying to hide my seeping anger.

"Buy what you want. I'll pay for it," Master said.

I really cannot figure him out.

Leaving the old shopkeeper's store, Master followed me to a street vendor's stall. The vendor was selling small trinkets, jade bracelets, and gem earrings. My instincts were telling me to buy everything, but it didn't feel right spending Master's money. Sadly walking away, I turned my attention to the other businesses.

We happened to come across a clothing store that sold fabric. I went straight for a dark blue silk that was wrapped around a wooden plank.

"Master, come here." Quiet all this time, Master abided by my request.

I placed the cloth up to his neck and observed the stretch of the fabric down to his waist.

"Hmm..."

"What is it?" He asked.

Feeling cheeky, I smiled playfully at him and said, "I was just thinking that you look good in all the colors."

Placing the silk cloth back onto the shelf, I pulled out a red cotton cloth. "It's going to get colder, so I was thinking maybe I should make you a coat."

"I brought you to the city to buy things for you, not for me. And you forget that I'm not so easily vulnerable to temperature."

Hmm... for me, you say?

Under my breath, I muttered, "Well, maybe you should wear one, so I won't freeze to death when you hold me at night."

"What did you say?"

"Nothing. It's fine if you don't want an outer coat. I'll just make one for Lord Wu."

"You-- Whatever."

After buying the amount of fabric and thread I needed, Master teleported us back to Shui Jing Mountain.

I think Master was worried when I didn't meet up with him at the city gates...

Setting down my things on Master's desk, I warily said, "Master, I'm sorry I didn't teleport to meet you. I need to practice more."

"Maybe I expected too much from you. I should have realized that your level of powers are far below anyone else's at Bleak Night."

Did he really have to put it that way?

"Nevertheless, I need to dedicate myself and not depend on you."

Not answering, Master made his way to the hot spring. Before entering the hallway, Master said over his shoulders, "It's fine if you do. I don't mind it. I just want you to be able to stand up for yourself when I'm not around."