Chapter 5 - Something grabs my ankle

Percy POV

I  woke up and got out of bed. I had dreamt strange things last night, such as a pretty girl flirting with me and a short red thing with a large head and sucker fingers, but the red thing was so strange it had to be a dream. I reached down and patted Thea on her head, startling her from where she had been lying next to my bed. I looked out the window and saw a flickering blue orb bobbing in the trees. I walked out the door with Thea and approached the orb. Another one appeared further off in the trees, and the closest one disappeared. I went after the one further off, but another one appeared further on, and the closest one disappeared once again. I kept following them in this fashion until I reached a small lake. It was shaded by trees that towered far above, and seemed to almost glow in the faint light let through by the trees. There was no wind, no animals, no sound anywhere and even my footsteps were muffled.

As I approached the lake there was a sound like a small child crying. It sounded like it was coming from the water, but I couldn't be sure. I stepped into the water and felt a hand grasp my ankle. It pulled me down into the water much deeper than I had originally thought the lake was, and into an undrrwater cavern. It stopped moving and I could finally get a good look at it. It was very sleek, with shiny black fur, like a seal's, and hands like a monkey's hands on each of its legs. The strangest thing about it was the fact that it had a long tail with a hand on the end. It was this hand that was holding my ankle in a tight grip that would only have come from years of practice. I pulled riptide out of my pocket and dodged as the thing tried to gouge my eye out. I uncapped riptide and stabbed the thing. It yelped and it's grip on my ankle slackened. It's body lay on the cavern floor, and I swam to the surface wondering why it didn't disintegrate.

I found Thea waiting in the trees, a few metres from the water's edge. She whinnied in my head.

'Are you alright, creator Percy? Did the Ahuizotl hurt you?'

'Is that what the creature was? An Ahuizotl? What's an Ahuizotl?'

'An Ahuizotl is something that eats nails, hair and eyeballs. I don't know very much about it, but it isn't Greek. It wasn't wise following the Will o' the Wisps, creator. We should go before any other strange things come. I saw a red thing in the trees, and I don't want to meet it.'

I felt a bit of dread in the pit of my stomach. A red thing was what I had seen in my dreams, and it seemed dangerous. And what about the Will o' the Wisps? Why were they haunting a forest that was Greek, when they clearly weren't? I decided to ask Chaos about it. We walked through the forest in the general direction of our new house. There was a sound like a bell tolling. After what had happened with the Ahuizotl, as Thea called it, I didn't particularly want to see what was making the sound, but curiosity made me take a look. The bell seemed to be tolling a bit louder than before, and apart from the bell the forest was quieter, like with the lake. I pulled riptide out but didn't uncap it yet. Thea started slowing, and I told her to wait there as I went on alone. It would probably have been better if I'd trusted her instincts and not continued, but I didn't know that at the time. I entered a clearing and saw something unlike anything I'd ever seen before.

I am so, so sorry for making you wait for that long. I didn't intend to make you wait for a few months, I just didn't have a lot line. Luckily, I got three plot lines given to me, and now I can continue. Also sorry for the short chapter. Any creatures mentioned in this do exist in the world of myths. Also, I haven't done a disclaimer yet, so here it is: I don't own Percy Jackson or associated characters. Rick Riordan does. I seriously doubt that you could mistake a thirteen year old girl who lives in Australia for Rick. Anyway, feel free to rant at me about not updating. Vote, comment, and smile!