01. WAITING GAME

CHAPTER ONE
[WAITING GAME]

Two months stuck inside of May 10th, 1994

Molly Denver thought at this point she'd have gone mad, but she still felt sane. At least a little bit. There were no implications of life outside of her, Bonnie Bennett and Damon Salvatore.

A world all to herself seemed right up Molly's ally. But it was a painful, lonely, state of waking yourself up every morning knowing nothing has changed, and your friends aren't looking for you because they think you're dead.

But the worst part was, they probably weren't even mourning over her. Molly was the odd one out. She always had been. Growing up in foster homes made her realize that. You'd think since her and Tyler were both the only werewolves in the friend group they'd be close, but they didn't get along at all.

Bonnie, Elena, and Caroline were her only friends in high school. But all she did was see them getting close with other people, feeling as if she was slowly becoming less important.

Molly was never anyone's 'go-to' person. Never anyone's number one. Never a best friend. Never a first priority. Always a last resort. Always second best. Molly had to be her own best friend, and she didn't mind.

Maybe it's because she spent most of her high school career either studying, or trying to deal with full moons. But either way, friends weren't really Molly's thing.

Molly tucked her brown, messy hair behind her ears and continued marking up the chalkboard in the library of the Salvatore house.

Since Bonnie had been left with no magic, and Damon was too lazy to try and figure a way out, Molly took it upon herself to save everyone.

She took the pencil out from behind her ear and tapped it on her lip as she examined all the work she had done, then she spins on her heel and marks up one of the textbooks on the desk beside her, underlining.

"In quantum mechanics, the solutions to the Schrödinger equation, the wave functions result in probability functions for the position of elementary particles in time and space through linear combinations of wave functions." She mumbled under her breath as she read, narrowing her eyebrows in confusion. Molly turns back to her chalkboard to write again, but stops when she hears a knock at the door.

"Can I come in?" Bonnie asks.

Molly puts the chalk down. "Sure."

"Woah." Bonnie says, the door creaking as she stepped inside. Molly turns around to see Bonnie looking around confusedly at the chalkboard filled with equations. "I brought you dinner."

"Oh." Molly glances down at the plate in Bonnie's hand. "Thanks."

Bonnie steps forward and places the plate on the table. "Are you ever gonna leave this room?"