Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter Twenty Four

It was a quarter past midnight, my shoulders ached, the sleeves of my work shirt were covered in spaghetti sauce, and I was utterly exhausted. I opened the door after a missing the key in the hole several times. Every extra second I stayed up as a challenge for my eyes to continue opening.

I make my way to my room in a zombie-like fashion. I all but collapsed on my bed a millisecond after I lazily kicked off my shoes. I landed face first on the bed, and even the uncomfortable position was drowned out by the bed's pull to lull me to sleep.

I contemplated not brushing my teeth for an extra five minutes of sleep. One day won't give me cavities I tried to convince myself.

I woke up the next morning, passing out in the middle of deciding whether or not ot be a slob. I was still in my work clothes and I slept through my alarm.

I had 10 minutes to get to school, which on the brightside is a new late record for myself.

There was barely any time before I'm flying out the door. I was like a magician that morning, brushing my teeth and combing my hair at the same time. Putting my shoes on and grabbing my backpack. I looked like one of those old timey actors whose actions were sped up in editing, only mine was in real life.

My phone had less than 50%, and I had a feeling one of my step-sisters stole my backup charger. I really had to rely on my car's crappy charger.

On said phone, I received over 100 texts last night (not an exaggeration) collectively from my step-sisters. It was mostly them complaining about how I did something wrong and whatever other annoying tasks they ordered me to do.

I ignored it and focus on getting to school only 20 minutes late. My parking job was sloppy and most likely crooked and I can't remember if I locked my car, but I managed to shave off 10 minutes with reckless driving. Besides, no one will want to steal the old scrap metal that is my car.

I don't pay attention to my surroundings and head straight to class hoping today was one of the off days my teacher was late. Although in that case my rushing would have been for nothing.

Something kept catching my eyes, there was a weird blue posters around the halls. It was literally everywhere, next to very classroom door or exit. You couldn't go 2 feet without seeing another one. I had no time to focu on it, and I doubted it pertained to me anyway, probably an overzealous kid running for student body.

I managed to make it to class with minor incidents, the teacher gave me a dirty look but didn't say anything so I'd consider that a plus.

--------

I didn't pay attention to the posters again until it was time for lunch. I figured I had more time and glancing at one for 5 seconds wouldn't be that much of a waste of time. I zeroed in on one in the corner of the hall giving me more space to look.

It turns out those 5 seconds were more than enough to give me a heart attack. The pale blue poster was simplistic in design, the image of a glass slipper was center-stage. It read: "Cinderella come find me. I have something of yours -Derric Wilder".

It suddenly became hard to breathe, a lump formed in my chest and weighed down every shallow breath. There was too much stimulation in the halls, too many noise and sounds. My vision was getting fuzzy and harder to focus.

In my one moment of clarity I texted Edmon hurridly and ducked into the staircase. The bell already rang, and by now most people were already at lunch so it was nice and empty.

He found me a few minutes later leaning against the wall clutching my head tightly. "Adira?" I lifted my head sightly in recognition. Ed wordlessly stood next to me and put an arm around my shoulder.