33. pretty sure

JOSH

I watch as Natalie walks out of the water. My eyes roam all over her body. She's wearing a white bikini. Her legs look long and gracious as she walks. The belly button piercing shines as it catches the light. Her hair is wet and water drips down her body. Time seems to stop. It feels like we are shooting a movie and this is the part where the hot girl walks out of the ocean with background music playing. Wait. That is exactly what is happening right now.

Gunner slaps Brad's back as he whistles. "Dang man, you done messed up."

Brad shoves his hand away angrily. "Shut the fuck up."

He knows Gunner is right. He turns around and stands next to me. I lower my gaze, feeling annoyed. He's been pushing my buttons since I got here. He's still pissed about what happened yesterday. I know he's not going to let it go.

"You're really still whooped on her aren't you, brother?" Brad asks looking at me with a stupid grin on his face. He chuckles. "You really think you got a shot with her?"

I take a deep breath. "I don't think you'd like the answer to either of those questions."

He laughs. "Natalie is way out of reach for you. She is my ex-girlfriend."

I clench my jaw then I turn and smirk at him. "You said it, Brad. She's your ex-girlfriend."

He narrows his eyes at me. "You would really betray me like that?"

I look away, feeling angry and frustrated with him. I know his point is valid. If the coins were flipped and Natalie would have been with me first and was now messing around with Brad, I wouldn't take it lightly. I would definitely feel betrayed by both of them. Why am I even thinking about this though? It doesn't matter. Natalie made her choice. She doesn't love me. It's over.

I don't even know why I'm here. I've never been into parties. At least not these kind of parties. There's a lot of people dancing on the sand. Some with drinks in their hands, most of them already drunk. My eyes search for Natalie. I see her across the dance floor taking a shot with Crystal. She looks half drunk, if not already drunk. I know I'll spend the rest of the evening making sure she's fine. I can't help but look after her.

I'm helplessly in love with her.

"Hey, want to dance?" Cassie asks when she comes back from the bathroom.

"Not really my thing," I say as kindly as I can.

Brad and Gunner have already ran off with some group of girls. That's what pisses me off the most. Brad likes to act like the victim when he doesn't even care about Natalie as much as he claims to. He cheated on her for fuck's sake.

"Do you want to walk?"

I shrug. "Sure."

Walking is better than standing here and staring at Natalie like a hawk. We walk away from the party, in the direction of Natalie's parent's inn. The sound of the music diminishes as we walk farther along. I consider asking Cassie about something that's been bothering me since the last time Natalie and I spoke. Natalie accused me of kissing Cassie when that's never happened. I've been meaning to ask Cassie why she told Natalie that we kissed but I realize that I can't do that without her understanding what was going on between Natalie and I. If I ask her, she'll wonder how I know that she told that to Natalie and then she'll ask why Natalie would care that I kissed someone. One thing will lead to another.

I realize that there's really no point anymore. What Natalie and I had is over. I don't have anything to prove to her. There's no reason for me to go on and start something without any point. I just wonder why Cassie would lie. She obviously wanted Natalie to think there was something between me and her. It doesn't sit right with me.