Chapter 81: Fourth Life - Swooning Steam

"Hey! I know this place," I exclaimed as I walked toward the separate pools of hot spring baths.

These hot springs where on the lower end of Shui Jing Mountain. The black rock walls of the pools gleamed with small crystals smoothing out the exterior. Kneeling next to a hot spring, I skimmed my fingers along the surface of the water.

Splashing noisily within the vapors of fog, Lu Kai rose from the hot bath, scaring me.

"Ack!"

"Rong Xin, you're here." He smiled, wiping the dripping water from his face. His bare upper half was glistening as white steam exuded from his body. The long and muscular build of his abdomen startled me.

"Where are your clothes?!" Yelling, I turned around to avoid looking at his sculpted figure.

Continuing to splash around in the water, he said, "Who bathes with clothes on?"

"Ugh. Anyway, what did Master remember this time?"

"..."

"Lu Kai?"

Changing the subject, he said, "Why don't you come join me in the hot spring here?"

"No. I'm fine."

"You sure? The water feels so nice."

"If I come in will you tell me what this memory is?"

"Yeah."

Turning around, I saw Lu Kai floating shoulder deep in the pool. Slowly climbing in, I soaked my entire body along with my clothes. Lu Kai looked at me questioningly.

"Wow... It does feel amazing," I admitted.

Finding a small step to sit on, I relaxed my body allowing my arms to sway back and forth. Lu Kai made his way over and sat down beside me. I kept my eyes on him like I was expecting him to do something that would raise my blood pressure. Whether it be staring at me as though sucking out my soul or trying to hug me mercilessly.

"What did you do today? More cultivation lessons?" He asked.

"Thankfully not. Master is not the patient kind."

Lu Kai laughed, "You weren't either."

Turning to him I asked, "What do you mean?"

"We were students of Crimson Snow Valley, a now obsolete all female Immortal Sect. You trained me in sword fighting and cultivation, and you were a strict teacher."

"Really?!"

It's amazing to hear that I wasn't completely incompetent in at least one of my lives!

"But how is it that you were a student there if it was an all female sect?"

"I disguised myself as a girl. You never noticed until..."

"Until?"

"When we came to Shui Jing Mountain on my very first assignment to retrieve the Star Gem. It would turn out to be your ever last assignment for Crimson Snow Valley. While fighting with Tuan Jie Sect's disciples, the Star Gem exploded causing my body to absorb its powers."

I listened to Lu Kai recalling the past. Bittersweet memories of the one he loved who was no longer here.

"You had to make a tough decision to either turn me in or save my life... and you ultimately decided to leave the sect in order to protect me."

"I did that?"

"You didn't know it, but you already loved me a long time ago." With a cocky attitude Lu Kai confidently smiled, side eyeing for my reaction. The urge to pinch his cheeks arose in my chest.