65

Tonight's Ezekiel B. Rinzen Founder's Banquet marked the end of the 75th anniversary that no one really cared about -- well, no one except the old men determined to relive their "glory days" in silver company, while informing the youngins of how great America used to be as their mostly minority caterers just probably shared different thoughts. The whole thing sounded disgustingly boring, and if Miren wasn't suspended, she would have found a way out of it anyway.

"Come back at your earliest convenience," Miren told Jeno, as she typed her English report from her old desk. "Wallace is supposed to be on late night TV. Imani Higgins at Midnight. Can you believe it?"

"Are you sure watching him get praised by the same woman who retracted your Rising Scholar Award is a good idea?" Jeno adjusted his tie briefly before his gaze landed on his girlfriend. "You should go out. Escape this hell hole with me."

"I'm fine spending a quiet night here doing homework," she replied, rising to her feet. "And Ms. Cowdry has made it clear that despite her assistance, she's giving no mercy on Miles."

"Right. I still can't believe she's in on it," he sighed. "I'm sorry everything went this far."

"I'm not," she said softly. "Everything that's happened has led me to you." She fixed his tie, but not without kissing him. "So go make nice as Student Body President, and then hurry back so we can--"

"And I would want nothing more than that," Jeno said pecking her lips again, before his expression hardened. "But we are moving very fast. You may still have some unresolved feelings toward Parker, and we still need to find the people responsible for the attack. And don't get me started on Mr. Harvard. It's only a matter of time before he does something."

"You're right," Miren nodded. "We're taking everything too lightly. But what do you suppose we do?"

Jeno pursed his lips before sighing. "I don't know. But I do think you should go back to being Wallace's roommate. No more sleepovers. Or that thing you did with your--"

"That thing you liked?" She offered him a knowing smirk, watching him blush slightly. "Fine by me."

Just then, there was a buzz in the air. Jeno groaned before retrieving his phone from his pocket. "It's Roger. I'm running late to the conference center." He found his keys on his desk. "Last chance to leave campus with me."

"Tempting," she considered, reopening her laptop. "But I'm good."

"Okay. I'm going then."

"I'll be here."

***

"I can't believe you told him!" Jemma all but roared, clashing her fists against the table of the modest ramen restaurant they were in, earning some glances in their direction "Hoes before bros! Or do you really think you're a dude now?"

"Can you lower your voice?" Miren said in a frantic whisper.

"You're obviously having sex. That's the only thing that would explain why you would betray me," the cheerleader went on, earning an eye roll from the girl in drag.

"I didn't betray you," Miren's gaze sharpened against hers. "I just couldn't lie to him anymore. And he didn't seem particularly surprised that you knew about me, so maybe he already had his suspicions." She shrugged, taking a sip from her water cup.

"So you admit you two are doing it?"

"No."

"No, that you don't want to admit it, or no that you haven't done it?--"