S e p t e m b e r

Penelope sighed blissfully as she watched the leaves blow in the cool tinged wind.

Some of her favourite colours were on display: pumpkin orange, creamy browns and dark reds.

The colours decorated the trees, the grass and even complimented some of the shades that people seemed to be adorned in.

Penelope loved September, its colours and the slight bite of its air.

It was a beautiful month that brought on equally beautiful changes in nature.

But most of all, she loved September because of the people— the atmosphere.

She sighed in awe as she watched a toddler stumble down the sidewalk with their parent in tow, obviously excited to be sporting the new bubble guppies backpack that sat largely on their back.

Penelope smiled softly to herself and sipped her tea. Oh, how she loved the month of September.

"Elly, come downstairs we have to go!" A voice sounded from downstairs.

Penelope grinned in excitement at her mother's voice.

The first day of school was finally here.

She sent an enthusiastic reply to her mom, Lila, and rushed to throw on her outfit that she had put together the night before.

After smoothing down her dress she hopped over her pyjamas to apply her makeup.

A few passes of mascara to bring out her grey-blue eyes, some tinted gel for her eyebrows and a generous coat of clear gloss for her pouty lips. Pretty.

She left her brown hair in its naturally curly state before lugging the small backpack that fit her cutely.

"I'm ready mom," Penelope called as she hopped down the last step.

Her short frame stood patiently by the door, already sporting her white converse high tops, which did little to add to her 5'3 height.

A taller woman made an appearance 5 minutes later, closely resembling the smaller girl despite her deep black hair.

"Okay, sweetheart let's go. I'm running late for work." Her mother said in a bit of a hurry.

"Okay," Penelope replied before slinging on her backpack.

"Alright, after you" Her mother urged as she opened the front door.

Penelope bounded outside her house, waving to her next-door neighbour who was also out and about.

When her mom locked the front door, she raced to their modest Honda Accord and jumped in the passenger seat.

The drive to school was fairly short, even with the usual traffic that surfaced on the first day of school.

When her mom pulled up to the drop off zone, Penelope leaned over and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before yelling bye, nearly sprinting into the school.

As soon as the small girl pushed the doors open, she grinned widely.

Everyone was smiling and laughing with their friends, despite their dislike towards the return of school.

Immediately, people began greeting Penelope, giving her short hugs and soft squeals at her appearance.

"Penelope! I missed you so much." A girly voice yelled over all the chatter.

Penelope was caught by surprise when her best friend since elementary school hugged her tightly.

"Never volunteer to build houses in 3rd world countries again." The girl cried out while tightening her grip on the brunette.