ACT TWO ;; CHAPTER THIRTEEN

jeongguk froze for a moment, letting out a few almost inaudible hiccups as he lifted his head from taehyung's shoulder. he met the other's gaze, his eyes narrowed slightly. the stench of alcohol on taehyung's breath was still invading his senses, despite his runny nose. "huh? wh- i'm sorry, what do you mean?"

"i don't know why you didn't recognize me." taehyung's words were still drawn out, slurred from being almost heavily intoxicated. "i don't know why you don't remember me. but you were very important to me in high school. what year was it... second? i don't know. but you were important to me, and i was important to you."

"i don't remember hardly anything from high school," jeongguk mumbled out. he wiped his nose roughly with his sleeve, letting out a quiet sniffle. "i was in an accident a few months ago, and it caused some trauma that led to me having post-traumatic amnesia. for the most part, it's all back, but i don't remember a lot of things. everything from elementary school is blurry, and middle school is just a large blur of things i learned and activities i did after school. high school is practically the same thing. i remember it being surprisingly fun, until i moved."

jeongguk heard taehyung inhale sharply, his voice shaking as he spoke his next words. "and you never chose to tell us about any of this?"

"i was-" he stopped himself from talking, rubbing at his eyes harshly before finally allowing his gaze to meet taehyung's. "i didn't think it was that important. i felt distant from all of you, so i didn't want to burden you with something you couldn't fix."

"jeon jeongguk." taehyung let out a few drunken giggles. "we used to be dating. before you cheated on me and i technically cheated on you. you were rude to me for most of elementary and middle school, but i guess you were just some sort of... i don't know. like one of those schoolgirls who are rude to their crush. we were, very much so, in love at one point. and i don't think i ever got over you leaving."

the younger felt a pang in his chest at taehyung's words. he had to blink slowly, staring up at the other with confusion before scooting away a fraction of an inch. "are you pranking me? is this some sort of joke or- or are you telling the truth?"

"it's the truth. if you don't believe me, ask any of our friends about it," taehyung replied shortly, letting out a frustrated grunt as he reached out for jeongguk again. "why do you keep moving farther away from me? is it because you hate me now? you can just say it and i'll leave you alone."

"it's because you smell like ass, idiot. alcohol and body odor mixed together is- it's yucky."

taehyung playfully scoffed and smacked jeongguk on the thigh, who only wrinkled his nose up slightly in faux disgust. "it's not my fault i get sweaty when i'm drunk."

"we're getting off-topic," jeongguk stated, pushing himself up from the sidewalk and dusting his jeans off with a loud huff. "you're impossible to talk to when you're drunk. we're going to your dorm and i'm making you go to sleep, or something. we'll talk about this when you're sober again. and when i don't have a fucking migraine from earlier."

it took a minute or two of convincing from jeongguk for taehyung to finally stand up, and with taehyung occasionally walking off only to be scolded by a very frustrated jeongguk, the two made their way back to the campus.

-

when taehyung woke up again, he was greeted by what felt like two pairs of arms around his waist and a throbbing headache. he groaned before sitting up, pushing whoever had been snuggling him away from him so he had enough room to stretch.

a thud echoed throughout the room, followed by a screech that could only be hoseok.

"taehyung!" he turned to his left, only to notice a wide-awake jimin giving him a not-very-threatening glare. "what did i tell you about pushing people off of the bed? and what did you think you were doing running off like that last night?"

taehyung sighed. his mind was only focused on one person. "where's jeongguk? he brought me here last night."

"we know," hoseok grunted out as he stood up. he frowned a bit, prodding taehyung's shoulder with his index finger. "he slept on the couch. but that doesn't excuse you not asking me if it's okay after you pushed me off of the bed. forcefully, might i add."

"sorry, hobi," taehyung muttered out in reply before he swung his legs over the side of the bed and stood up slowly. making his way out into the small living room area, he stretched his arms out over his head, spreading his fingers out with a soft exhale.

"you look like shit."

he glared at jeongguk, who had his eyes glued to the screen of phone, playing a mobile game that looked almost too easy for the youngest. he playfully smacked the back of jeongguk's head, who let out a yelp of protest.

"you didn't even look at me. i have a headache, so i'm going to get some water and medicine." taehyung tapped his finger against jeongguk's forehead, letting out a quiet hum of thought. "and thank you for taking me back here last night. i probably would have been even more lost if it wasn't for you, so i'm glad you did."

and maybe it was just his hangover, but taehyung was positive he heard jeongguk whisper a quiet, "i'm glad i did too."

[a/n:] three more chapters :(