Chapter Nine- Lessons

With Orlan sailing the boat during the night and Bren during the day they covered a lot of ground quickly.

On the second day, they could take off their cloaks and enjoy the warmer climates that came with the Island of Rolezal and the seas surrounding it.

Iasa, having lived in the heat her entire life, found the unstoppable excitement Bren and Eboni were exuberating both strange and dull. She therefore spent her time in the cargo hold lighting the torches over and over again.

Eboni had placed herself on the bow of the small ship, eager to take in the sunshine and warmth she had been deprived of her whole life- as well as keeping Bren company as he sailed, following the co-ordinates Orlan had laid out for him that morning.

Bren was whistling an old prayer song. Eboni appreciated the fact that he had kept her mind busy and silences short.

After she had emerged onto the deck the afternoon on the day they had fled- puffy eyes from crying and unable to sleep any longer- Bren had made sure to keep her mind occupied so she had little time to think about home and the Brothers and Sisters they had left behind.

She started singing along to his whistling, the soft melodic prayer filling her with hope and comfort.

"I know that song!" Exclaimed Iasa as she came onto the deck "-But we sing it a little differently in Rolezal- exchange the words prayer for hair and fails for nails and you have my version!" she laughed ignoring the frown that Bren wore and Eboni's glare, moving to the stern so she could watch the waves.

Bren caught her eye and sighed shaking his head. Smiling sadly, she turned back to watch the open waters for a sign of land- or danger. Though she hadn't said it out loud, it was a possibility that they hadn't evaded the Dark Ones and that they were in fact hot on their tales. Taking another look around, she relaxed as she saw nothing but water and sky.

Absentmindedly she drew out a little energy and built a glowing sculpture in front of her. After an hour or so she felt eyes on her back.

Both Orlan and Iasa were sat on the deck watching her intently and the sculpture intently, as was Bren who gave her a small smirk.

"How do you have so much control?" Iasa mumbled, annoyed.

"Deep meditation and patience allows me to control it like it's an extra limb." She replied, turning back to the sculpture, she spun a glowing thread of energy from her fingertips until it created an exact replica of a rose. Closing her eyes, she continued-.

"The meditation allows me to visualise my power inside my body. When I close my eyes, I see white ribbons running throughout- I call these my power pathways. Meditation also allows me to visualise clearly what I wish to do with the power- like building this rose for example. Patience means I can practice more, I find getting angry or frustrated uses more energy and therefore more power." She smiled opening her eyes. Orlan was sat staring back and forth between her and the rose. Iasa just sat scowling.

"Practice, Princess, is the only way to improve- if you like we can meditate together later."

"Great!" she exclaimed "Maybe I can find my very own ribbons!" sarcasm dripped from her mouth.

Before Eboni could respond Iasa stood up and flounced her way back down below deck.

After a moments silence Orlan too stood up, only instead of going back below. Deck, he relieved Bren of the captain's wheel.

"Go and eat, I can steer for an hour."

Nodding Bren disappeared below deck, but not before sending her another reassuring smile. She looked up to the clear sky, the suns now merged into one signalling the middle of the day. They would reach Rolezal this time tomorrow, the prospect of new land exiting and terrifying at the same time.