them changes

Yuki and I don't speak a word to each other for the rest of our trip, nor on the bus, nor at home when I accidentally bump into him.

I feed birds solemnly in the yard, to try and soothe my anger towards him. No use getting worked up about things he won't understand, and scare poor Tohru. There is a gritty side no one needs to know or to understand, and I need to accept that.

I don't mean to sound like "Poor Tohru" either, it's just not another thing she needs to worry about, same as Yuki.

"Wow, they just keep coming to you! There's so many in this forest!" Tohru exclaims, coming out to me as she usually does when I do this, and the birds don't scare away. I hand her crumbs and we continue to feed the birds.

When Yuki approaches us, however, the moment I see him there the birds are frightened off.

I sigh. "That's a first. They must not like you, Prince Yuki." He looks dismayed by my comment, a little wide eyed at me. "Don't look like your dog just died. They'll come back."

I hand him the bag of crumbs and head inside.

-

It's the first day of the new semester, and I'm standing outside a first year homeroom with girls clamouring all around.

"Move it," I snap, and they part like the red sea with Tohru shaking a little at my commanding presence. The people inside the class wonder what it's about. "Momiji, Hatsuharu, come out and say hello."

I walk out to see Kyo leaning over Tohru against the wall, and two very surprised looking boys. Doesn't stop me from launching a kick to his back.

"Sohma-chan!" cries out the voice of annoying upperclassman Kaito, arms wide open running for me.

I put Kyo in my place, and Kaito ends up hugging him instead.

"She hates hug. She'll kill you," Kyo says, although it seems like he's saying for himself with his head turned my way.

Kaito stands straight and salutes. "Yes, sorry! I heard there were new Sohmas, I wanted to know if there were any more girls! Although, Sohma-chan has already stolen my heart!"

"Why are you yelling?"

He drops his salute. "I've come to say hello on behalf of the soccer team. We need players!"

I point his view to Momiji, wearing the girls uniform with shorts, and to Hatsuharu. "Their hair is natural, before you ask."

"You!" he points at Hatsuharu, who is immediately on alert. "Your style is really cool!"

Hatsuharu grins. "I could tell you know a few things about style," he remarks. "Are you Kuroi's boyfriend—"

I pinch Haru's cheek. "No!"

"I wish!" cries Kaito. "It's all I wish for and I compliment her and don't do any of that cheesy stuff she doesn't like, and I always want to talk to her on the phone and at school and cheer on her games, but she has friend zoned me!"

My arms fold, my foot tapping impatiently. "You're fine, Tomoya-senpai. He's a no good play boy who's mad he couldn't win me over easily. You were after Kinoshita Minami-san the other day, you fool! She's a crazy Prince Yuki fan!"

"Listen, I'm senpai! She doesn't call anyone else that!" The tears roll dramatically down his cheeks as he sits in his dismal corner.

"She friend zoned you and you are in hot pursuit yet? Sounds like a simp to me," Haru remarks.

I wave my hand in his face. "Oi, only I get to poke fun at Tomoya-senpai!!"

"Did you know she's actually underage? She's only our age, but you're fetishizing a girl younger than you... shame."