67

In the dead of night, Artemis watched Soren sleep in bed. To clarify, she wasn't stalking him - well, not entirely. It was only to ensure he was actually out for the night. When the senior started snoring, she had her confirmation, and she carefully peeled his arms off of her before rising to her feet.

Fishing her bra from the floor, she quickly buttoned up her uniform before approaching his window. Taking a deep sigh, she pushed it open before hunching over and stepping out into the greenery.

A sigh mixed with the cool breeze as she secured her coat over her shoulders. She fought the urge to feel guilty for what she had just done with Soren. But as problematic as he was, he was probably the only innocent one in everything; the only one who could quench her equally problematic urges. Even Levi couldn't be trusted, regardless of him swearing he was done sleuthing.

She gritted her teeth as she looked up at the other dorms. From where she approximated Jeno's room had to be she watched three animated silhouettes. Her eyes narrowed.

She wasn't the only one with a plan.

***

There was a strange calm in the morning, perhaps because aside from a farewell brunch being held at Rinzen's administration building courtyard, most of the alumni had left to attend to more important things. Miren probably should have avoided breaching her suspension, but she had little qualms about scoring a free gourmet meal.

"You should try the croissants," Jeno told her as he carried a box filled with party favors. "I have to go pick up my dad from Roger's apartment in ten minutes. You're welcome to tag along for the ride."

"Thank you, but I'm fine." She smiled, but it was pained. "Besides, I wouldn't want to interrupt your father-son bonding or something."

"Knowing my dad he'll probably try to use it as an opportunity to finish our annual sex talk." He grimaced. "In any case, I can tell something is bothering you."

"Try someone. I really want to speak to Wallace."

"We will," he said, placing the box on a counter. "Just be patient."

She sighed before turning her attention to her phone as she scanned a new message. Her mood didn't lift.

Could life get any better?

***

"And the plot thickens," Ms. Cowdry said, setting her coffee down on her kitchen counter, taking note on her laptop, her blue eyes uncharacteristically wide and interested. "I would have bet my last dollar that Penelope and Olivia orchestrated your attack, but you're saying it's Artemis?"

Miren nodded, gritting her teeth. "I mean, it's the only thing that makes sense, right? She's basically allowed this whole thing to consume her — she even confronted me. And the fact that she seems like the least likely person to do it puts her in the perfect position to—"

"Get away with it," she finished. "Wow, she's a genius."

"I thought you were on my side?" Miren pouted her lips, to which the instructor only smiled mockingly.

"I'm allowed to appreciate a good twist, especially as a writer." She shut her macbook. "Do you have a plan to expose her? I wouldn't recommend a confrontation."

"I don't know." Miren scratched her head. "And ditto."

"I could talk to Dr. Castro about your concerns. Say I heard a rumor that I believe warrants an investigation on Miss El-Amin."

"That's not a bad idea," Miren considered, folding her arms. "But you'd need something more concrete than a rumor. Jemma needs to get some intel from her. If she discovers anything promising then we can proceed."

"Have you considered just telling Artemis the truth?" Cowdry said, shifting to her fridge before pulling out a carton of eggs. "I mean, last thing I want is for you to compromise your secret, but the only thing worse than being out for blood is doing so secretly. You don't know what else is up Artemis' sleeve."

"Artemis is more unstable than me," Miren said with a sigh. If it wasn't worth mentioning before, she was dressed like a girl now, wig and long-sleeve dress and all. She played with Sara's sunglasses in her hands before tightening her grip on them, another good squeeze and they'd snap. "I don't hate the idea, but it's not a good one."

"Just trying to help," Carlie said mockingly with an eye roll. "Meanwhile you're headed off to what? Band practice? Is that a good idea?"

"Fine, you win this round." Miren was already at the door.

"Have fun."

***

Band practice with the boys (and Quinn) actually was fun, at least until Axel confirmed that they (including her) would be performing at prom.

In front of a producer.

Naturally, she left his apartment somehow even deeper in the hole she had dug for herself. About a million and one curses left her lips and blended with the wind before a car pulled up to her at the side of the road.

"Get in," Jeno said, rolling down his window. Miren blinked at him.

"How did you know I'd be here?"

"I've noticed you've have the tendency to disappear on Sunday afternoons but I didn't want to pry." He honked his horn. "Anyway, we're burning daylight."

"What's the rush?" she said, approaching the passenger door.

"Wallace," he answered plainly. "We're going to New York to talk to him."

Miren's eyes lit up. "It's like you read my mind."

"Edsel will have to deal with us missing school on Monday, so I hope you're okay with losing your perfect attendance record."

She laughed, cupping his cheek. "I'd rather lose something else."

"This trip is for business, not pleasure," Jeno said rather unfazed, before a small grin landed on his face. "My dad added a new part to the sex talk—how to avoid being seduced by beautiful women."

"Did he?"

"Omigod you guys are so boring." Miren and Jeno's heads snapped too quickly behind them, so quick that it was surprising they didn't get whiplash.

"What the fuck, Jemma?" he said, glaring at her now from the rear view mirror. "How did you get in here?"

"I'm not telling." She stuck out her tongue. "And for the love of Christ, can we change the radio from NPR?"

"Get out of my car and you can listen to whatever you want."

"I'm not staying behind while Headmistress Castro is pissed. It was hard enough leaving campus. And it's not like I can get details on Penelope or Olive—they're probably in isolation somewhere."

"Which is why you should stay back to get details on Artemis," Jeno said. "You're her closest friend."

"If I approach her now, she'll close off completely." Jemma folded her arms. "We need to wait until her guard is down."

"Or we're closing our only window of opportunity," Miren pushed, turning to Jeno. "Maybe we should stay back."

"We need to know the grounds Wallace based his accusation on first," he replied, making a left turn toward the highway. "And I hate to say it, but I think Jemma is right."

The cheerleader cheered. "Glad you're all seeing things my way." She shifted her torso to the front of the car, changing the station to something almost offensively mainstream. As she sang the lyrics of the basic song, the two sane people in the car exchanged looks.

This wouldn't be fun.

***

Follow me on twitter and youtube and instagram (see profile page!)