56. Taunted

-Jack-

-Jack-

I was slowly regaining consciousness. I didn't understand it first, but I could see glimpses of the snowy ground under my paws every now and then, while I was coming to. I was so incredibly weak... How much of me was left? How long did I have left, until Henry and the thousands of parasites devoured the last of my soul? My spirit...

'Ah... You're awake,' Henry laughed somewhere inside the body we shared.

I didn't reply to him. I was unable to form a thought, and he knew it. It amused him. He knew the body would soon be his, but he didn't mind tormenting me while I withered away. No... I was sure he wanted to keep me alive as long as possible just so he had someone to torture.

I had learned a lot about him ever since he possessed me. He was not a good person, not even when he was alive. He... he skinned his own children alive when he was still human... All seven of them. His wife suffered far worse fate than that... His spirit was almost five hundred years old, and time had not made him any kinder.

Anthony... That rotten Shadow Walker... Why would anyone want to work with a Shadow like Henry? And what kind of a person you had to be to control a Shadow like Henry?

'That's none of your concern...' Henry muttered. 'I believe you have far more important things to worry about.'

I was finally able to see around. His shadows retreated so I could regain my senses, but they still had a strong hold of my spirit. I could even hear the wind and the birds around us. And I could smell.

'How?' I managed to ask.

I didn't see anything behind the snow and the trees, but I could smell well enough to know we were in Rayleigh's territory. And not just at the edge of it. I could almost hear their village close by.

'How did we get here? Easily – your sworn enemies are not paying enough attention to their borders right now,' Henry told me.

How could it be? Didn't the Blue Moons realize the danger they were in? I was sure they would now know they had a Shadow Walker coming after their old world object! I had heard enough stories about the battle that happened almost two decades ago in this very same territory. Had they forgotten all about it? How could it be! Rayleigh himself was leading his werewolves against the Shadow Walkers!

And Henry had managed to sneak us deep into their land...

'Let's see... If I were a diviner, where would I be hiding?'

Henry's words made my entire soul grow cold. He was after Arch! Was he here? I couldn't tell, no matter how well I knew his scent. Maybe he wasn't in the territory at all?

'Keep wishing. I know for a fact that he's here. Alpha Rayleigh has ordered his whole pack here,' Henry spoke, and I could almost see his evil smile. 'I must say, your loyalty to him is admirable. No, no – it truly is! He doesn't recognize you even as a possible mate, and yet, you're wasting the last of your already short life trying to defend him. Truly admirable. Foolish, but admirable...'