021. Insomnia

-----♕-----

-----♕-----

GEMINI WAS STUCK. Stuck in the back of a fast moving vehicle. The seat belt was tight around her as she tried to unbuckle it. She couldn't get it out, like it was jammed. She looked around and noticed somebody sat in the front. She continued to pull at the tightening seat belt, in hopes it would miraculously come undone. She finally managed to undo the seat belt and quickly went for the door. However, it was locked, causing her brain to spiral into panic. She wanted to shout, yell, scream for help but she couldn't. She was physically unable. The person in the front was still driving. 

Gemini took to kicking the door of the car, trying desperately to get out of this dream. Her eyes began to water and her hands became clammy and sweaty. This was one of the worst. She tapped the person and they spun around, showing their face to the terrified woman, only scaring her more.

Her mother stared back at her as the car began to swerve widely on the road, Gemini knew what was coming next. "You did this. You caused this. You killed me." Was all that was said before the car slammed into a tree, jolting Gemini from her dream.

Shooting up from her previous position, Gemini started hyperventilating. The survivors guilt had kicked in along with the anxiety bringing on another attack. The lights in her room were off now as the tears fell from her face, all noise ceased around, the only sound she could hear was the ringing in her ears. She could feel her heart beat quickening. She frantically searched the room for her animal. For Dixon. But, he wasn't there.

This made Gemini panic more, it creeping quicker and quicker into her chest, closing off her airways. She did the one thing, she thought she could do. She ran. She stumbled her way into the kitchen before tripping and falling onto the floor with a loud thud.  She was mentally praying she hadn't woken anyone as she still struggled to breathe.

Unbeknownst to her until he appeared in front of her, Bucky had been sitting at the breakfast bar, unable to sleep (as usual for him). He quickly rushed in front of her and crouched so his eyes were level with hers. His eyes held worry and fear, but also understanding, knowing how the girl must be feeling in that time.

"Gemini, Gemini. If you can hear me, nod your head." He spoke to her in a soft, quiet voice, much different to his usual one. She could only see his lips moving, though. The words being drowned out by the persistent ringing in her eardrums. "Okay, you can't hear me. Okay, that's okay." He knew that she'd panic more if he was panicking but he was also trying to think. "Okay, just breath with me, okay. In, one deep breath." He breathed in before doing the same outwards. "And out. Okay?" 

He continued this process for a few moments before he finally heard Gemini let in a heavy breath of air. He sighed in relief as her breathing slowly levelled out and she looked to him, stray tears leaving her eyes. Without hesitation, on her end, she hugged Bucky tight in thanks before pulling away and thanking him.

"Are you okay?" He asked her. She nodded slightly before being helped up by him. "What happened? --If - If you don't mind me asking." He asked apprehensively.

"Nightmare." She signed. Bucky tilted his head to her as they both sat at the breakfast bar, beside each other. She pointed to the pad, understanding what the tilt meant. He quickly grabbed it and she wrote the word down.

"I'm sorry." He apologised. She quickly wrote her reply before showing it to him.

'Not your fault. You didn't cause it.' It read. He nodded solemnly. She flicked the light on so she could now see him more fully. 

"How come you were sitting in the dark?" She asked before realising he still didn't fully understand and began writing it out.

"Can't sleep, normally just sit in the dark and ponder about things." He shrugged.

"Like what?" She wrote.

"Life." His simply remark stated. "I can't ever sleep. I just keep thinking about what I did for decades." Gemini knew what he was talking about and placed a hand on his human one.

She wrote quickly with her other hand, her writing being slightly messy due to the rush. "It wasn't your fault. You didn't do those things on purpose, HYDRA tortured you into doing it. They made you do it."

Bucky shook his head. Gemini heard the small sniffle that came from the man. "I remember all of them. Every person, every face. White, black, asian, female, male, adult child. Every single one, I see them when I sleep and they never leave me when I'm awake. I still hear their cries, their pleads for mercy before I maliciously killed them. It never stops." He removed his hand from hers and grabbed at his long brown hair. His voice cracked as the many memories and faces came flooding back. "They never leave." 

Gemini turned Bucky to her quickly. "Look at me." She told him. "You're gonna be okay." She began to write down again. "This wasn't you Bucky, everyone here knows that. How do you think Tony feels when he looks at the Maximoff twins, knowing his weapons were responsible for the death of their parents? Everyone here has done something they're not proud of. Don't believe me, ask Natasha." He remained looking down. She looked to him, sadness filled her eyes as she placed a hand on his cheek. "Yes, you're a broken man, but everybody is like a puzzle. Some are just harder to solve and fix than others." Bucky's face held the ghost of a smile on his lips as he read the note.

"Thank you." She hugged him tight. "I just needed someone to listen to me. I didn't want to burden Steve with this." She held up a hand stopping him.

"I know what you mean. Why do you think I'm staying here and not with my friends or family?" She questioned him. He shrugged. She tapped the notepad, notifying him she wasn't finished. "If you ever need somebody to rant to, I'll be here. Burden me with your problems all you want, I don't want you to suffer in silence, it's a terrible thing to do.

Bucky smiled slightly at the woman. "Thank you, again." She stood up and patted his back before going to the fridge, grabbing a carton of something that Bucky couldn't see before pouring it into a glass. 

She placed the drink in front of him. "Milk?" 

She rolled her eyes and began writing again. "Apparently, a glass of...normally warm milk helps people get to sleep. I don't know if that'll work for you but you could give it a try." She offered. Bucky looked more than confused about this.

"How do you get yourself to sleep then?" He questioned.

"Fizzy drink.

"What? How? They're meant to keep you awake." Gemini shrugged to his questions. "Well, thanks anyway, I'll try it. Goodnight, Gemini."

She smiled to him. "Good night Bucky."

Thankfully, after leaving the room and returning to her bed. She was able to drift back off. She was glad that she had, tried to at least help, Bucky with his insomnia. 

She now only had to work on hers.

-----♔-----

I hope you enjoy this chapter

The next chapter will be out soon

Kayla Lou xxx