Chapter Thirteen: Hell

*Countdown to freedom: three days. I have only three days left of work and then I can focus on writing all I want. With that said, I hope you like this chapter, though I know you might not. Anyways let's get to it!*

The rest of breakfast seems to run surprisingly well. Helen is too busy fussing over Talia and the details of the wedding to complain too bitterly about Taehyung and his lover. Aunt Pearl continues to share stories about her tea excursions while letting Taehyung sample the exotic blends, and Jungkook blissfully listens and watches Taehyung's smiling face. His aunt is a well-travelled woman, and Taehyung wishes he could be a bit more like her: sophisticated and poised, but adventurous and passionate for the things she loves.

The end of the meal is idyllically quiet. A peaceful quaint sort of scene that usually depicts the calm before the storm. At least that's how Ann Marie perceives it. Beneath the pleasant discussions, tea drinking, and sweet babbling, there's a tension in the room. Tension that spawns from Talia and the narrowed, jealous, glares she gives Taehyung and his lover.

Taehyung can feel it too. He isn't too worried about Talia saying things in front of the whole family—she has to save face after all—but her bitterness and hatred eats away at him. Her asking if Jungkook wants coffee is just the start. What if she keeps pushing, keeps flirting, keeps trying to wiggle her way between them when their relationship is already so fragile? So fake...And what about her marriage? Does she not love Daniel? Why go through with this if she's going to hate it? Did she date him just out of spite for Taehyung?

A gentle hand on Taehyung's knee settles his rolling thoughts and tumultuous insecurities. He looks at Jungkook, and the sweet sincerity in that man's eyes, before sheepishly smiling. He shouldn't be worried. He should trust in Jungkook. And in himself. Several family members have left the dining room, most off to run errands, make work calls, or just dilly dally. It isn't until the silence becomes suffocating that Taehyung realizes Aunt Pearl quietly wandered off, leaving just him, his mother, Talia, Ann Marie, and Jungkook. Helen looks over at the two boys, her once smiling lips quickly curling into a snarling frown.

"So...you and Tae?" Taehyung's mother sneers as if the thought of two men together absolutely disgusts her. And it probably does. Taehyung has known of his mother's homophobia for years now, but that doesn't mean he can change who he is. And Jungkook doesn't want him to. Jungkook smiles smugly, his arm draping over the back of Taehyung's chair.

"Yep. Me and Tae. Is that a problem?"

"You know my opinion about you," she hisses, her bright eyes narrowing.

"Oh relax, Helen, and let Taehyung live his life," Ann Marie snaps. Helen whips her head around so quickly Taehyung worries her neck might snap in two as she glares at her mother-in-law.

"How can you be so accepting of this?!" Helen shouts, "This boy is using my son—"

"He has a name, Mom," Taehyung interjects which only turns the wicked glare onto him. And he can feel panic slowly seep into his veins.

"I don't care. You shouldn't be dating a boy. I told you to not bring him here," Helen spits before Ann Marie sighs.

"I invited him here with Jungkook. Which means that man is my guest, so I'd appreciate it if you stopped attacking him," she calmly exclaims, her voice carrying an authority that Taehyung wishes he could possess.

"Am I the only one who is disgusted by Taehyung being gay?" Helen snaps, not listening to a damn thing Ann Marie has said. Taehyung watches with dread a smile crawls its way over Talia's lips, who—for the most part—has stayed quiet until now.

"No, Mother, I too find it awful, but it's not the first time I've seen Taehyung with a guy. He used to be all over them at uni," she quips, sipping her black coffee as Helen's face burns with slow fury.