Chapter 16

The next morning was also a morning I wouldn't forget.

I had gone to bed by ten the previous night. Samara, surprisingly, had slept early, and thus, I lost the chance to tell her about the plan. Which I wasn't sure I was going to do, anyway.

She woke me up the next morning. The first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was Samara nearly jumping up and down, which was a strange sight for someone like Samara. But then again, everything seemed like a strange sight when I woke up.

Today was different, however.

"Amy, I think I know what the password is!"

I shot up from my lying position, almost hitting my head against the bunk bed. "What?" I gasped.

"Yes!" she squealed in excitement.

No, no, no. She'll surely tell the colonel. If it's what I think it is, all the planning we did would fail. Everything would be over.

This can't possibly be happening.

"That's...great, Samara!" I tried sounding enthusiastic, but in reality, I was covering up the overwhelming sense of dread washing over me.

"C'mon," she tugged my sleeve. "I'll tell you all about it in the sector!"

"I'm coming," I'll tell her. She hurriedly walked over to the door and left, closing it shut.

I'd never felt so doomed in my life. After a miserable attempt to freshen up, I shuffled out of room fifty three and walked slowly to the Decoding sector, as if my snail-like pace would save me from what Samara was going to tell me.

I walked into my sector with it's blue lighting reflecting off the printers and the floor. I took a deep breath. Maybe I was worrying too much. Maybe the password Samara thought of was wrong.

I took my usual seat next to her and she turned towards me excitedly.

"Hey. You ready?"

I sighed, giving a fake smile. "Yes."

"Okay." She tapped her fingers on the table. "Amy, what's the first letter of fragments?"

I gulped. Anna had asked me the exact same thing.

"F," I said.

"And that's the sixth letter of the alphabet."

She knows the password. She knows it. We're doomed.

"And?" I enquired, as if I didn't know what she was talking about.

"The first digit of the password is six," Samara said. "The second letter is R. That's the eighteenth letter."

"Oh," I interrupted quickly. "Then we can't know the second digit."

"No, wait," she told me. "One plus eight is nine. Nine can be the second digit."

"Are you sure..." I asked, trying to make her doubt.

But she nodded. "A hundred percent. Okay, then A is the first letter. So the next digit is one. G is the seventh. Seven. M is the thirteenth. One plus three. Four. E is the fifth. Five. N is the fourteenth. One plus four, that's five. T is the twentieth. Two plus zero. Two. S is the nineteenth. One plus nine. That's ten. So we add one and zero again. And therefore, the last digit is one!"

I knew it was over. As she read the whole password out loud once, hurricanes of worry tore through my head. What was I going to do?