Chapter Two

'Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word

'Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.' - George R. R. Martin

Year 2350.

Used to seeing complete darkness for most of his life the man is startled when he wakes up to be met with the inside of a dimly lit cave. He scans the new, foreign environment and deeply exhales in relief as last night was not a morbid hallucination concocted by his damaged mind. He lies on the rocky, moist floor of the cave, staring up at the dark ceiling littered with stalactites and occasionally, dripping water.

He doesn't think he'll ever get used to this. Being out of a cell - out of darkness.

An hour goes by as he continues to admire the scenery above him and his body welcomes the foreign feeling of a non-silver surface as it races to heal itself from the lingering remnants of the trauma endured. Eventually, he tries to push himself upright and shockingly finds that he gets nowhere, his body stubbornly fighting against him. The man huffs angrily, tears well up in his eyes as he remembers that his body is weak and a poisonous self hatred begins to blossom.

Why now?

Why is it that when he needs his body the most it fights against him?

A few tears escape his eyes and slide down the sides of his face towards the cave floor.

Without any indication as to why his body has betrayed him, he searches for answers by recollecting last night's events and he miserably realises that the only way he has made it this far into the forest was due to a pure, energy-filled adrenaline rush. Now that he is out of the cell and his body has exerted itself enough for him to be able to survive solely in the state that it's in, the adrenaline has left him.

He shuts his eyes and takes a deep breath, mentally preparing himself for the struggle of survival. Finding food is the first thing on his agenda. If he were to truly survive, or even have a chance at making it out of the Pack of Evrópi, he would need the energy it would provide him and with his violent hunger making itself known to him, he realises he needs it now.

Slowly twisting his body, the man flips onto his stomach and breathes deeply, the act exhausting him. He places his hands onto the floor, next to his shoulders, and pushes himself up off of the ground with all of the strength that he can muster, his right foot slides under his body to provide an extra push of power and he eventually manages to stand upright. Sweat slowly drips down his torso whilst he stands, trying to catch his breath and for a moment, he sways, his body wobbling onto the cave wall next to him whilst he tries to regain his balance.