Chapter 10: That Escalated Quickly

I FLINCHED WHEN I FELT the bed moved. Agad akong napabangon and looked at the bed kung saan nakahiga si Exene. His body now wrapped in bandages pati na rin ang mga braso niya. 

Agad akong tumayo para tulungan siyang makaupo. "How are you feeling? Is there something you need? Does it hurt?" 

"How long was I out?" 

Napatingin ako sa orasan. It's already two o'clock in the afternoon. 

"You've been unconscious for 24 hours." 

He did not react. He was silent while staring at his hands. 

"How are you?" he asked quietly. Napatingin ako sa aking braso. I used the help of the twins to get it stitched last night right after I finished treating Exene. 

"I'm fine. I can't move very well but I am fine." 

I almost jumped on my feet when I felt his hand on the bandage on my arm. His touch was gentle.

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault, Exene. We didn't saw them coming. You didn't see it coming. And if you did, I know you'd do everything to protect me. I am a member of this house, after all."

He sighed and slowly laid back on the bed. Agad ko naman siyang tinulungan.

"You have to stay in bed for one more week or more. Depende kung kailang gagaling ang mga sugat mo." Napatingin ulit ako sa orasan.

"The maids should be here by now. I'm going to check your food." Akmang maglalakad na ako palabas when I felt his hand on my wrist.

"I wasn't sure if I saw it clearly but back there, in the woods..." He trailed and looked at me straight to my eyes. "Did you cry?"

Damn.

"H-ha?"

"Did you cry?" He repeated, not bothering to change his expression.

I gulped as I remembered how scared I was. Not for myself but for Exene. How terrible it was to hear the sound of the knife tearing to his skin.

"So I was right. I did not hallucinate it at all."

I did not answer. Hinila niya ang braso ko dahilan para mapaupo ako sa gilid ng kama. His hand is now on my wrist.

"Then I have one reason to say sorry now. I'm sorry."

I bit my lip, resisting the urge to cry again.

"I thought you were going to die."

He scoffed and smirked. "Sorry to disappoint, Lily. Seems like you still have to deal with me."

I chuckled and stood up. Napatingin ako sa kamay niyang nakahawak pa rin sa pulsohan ko. I looked at him. He raised his brow.

"You can let go of my hand now. I'm going to get your meal—"

I wasn't able to finish my sentence nang biglang bumukas ang pinto ng kwarto ni Exene. And standing there in the doorway is a very elegant woman. My jaw dropped.

She was wearing just a simple dress and her long hair was delicately arranged into a bun. She is tall and doesn't look like her age.

In her hands is the tray of food. She is smilimg at us, at me, at Exene and at his son's hand still on my wrist. Realization hit me like a tornado that I had to withdraw my hand from Exene's grip. I straightened my clothes and was about to curtsy when she held up an elegant hand.

"No need for that, my dear." She said as she smiled at me, then her eyers transferred to her son.

"I've seen you worse than this. Why are you here lying in the bed like you just lost your limbs?"

I could've sworn I heard Exene sighed as he said,

"Nice to see you too, Mother."

* * *

I was fidgetting. Hindi ako sigurado kung dapat bang narito pa rin ako sa kwarto but the Queen particularly said I can't leave the room.

"Normally, mothers would grovel and worry if their son is wounded." Exene muttered which earned a chuckle from his mother.

"You've always been so dependable." His mom ran her hand to his hair. A small smile tugged on my lips. "Even when you were still young." I could've sworn there was sadness in her voice as she said the last sentence. Ipinokus ko nalang ang atensyon ko sa bintana kung saan kita ko ang kabuuan ng malawak na gubat. I have a feeling I shouldn't be hearing this.

Silence enveloped the while room. I bit my lip.

"I am the Duke now. It won't set a good image if somebody knew my Mom's been pampering me like a baby."

Napatingin ako sa kanila. Exene is smirking at me.

"Oh, piss off." The Queen chuckled and looked at me before she smiled.

"Liliana, right? Muriel's told me about you. And she was right."

I looked at her in question.

"You are indeed beautiful." She said dahilan para pamulahan ako ng pisngi.

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

"I would love to see you in the palace."

"She stays here, Mother. Why is everyone taking her?"

"Relax, son." The Queen chuckled. "I won't be taking her. I know why you had these wounds in the first place. Aside from that, I came here to discuss a very important matter."

Exene's eyes darted towards me at agad kong naintindihan ang gusto niyang sabihin. Though the Queen didn't look at me, I figured the discussion is not for my ears. So I walked out of the room and walked down the hallway when I met Davis Black outside my clinic. He did not notice my presence until I cleared my throat.

"Lily,"

I blinked. His face was ash white. His eyes darted towards the wound on my arm.

"Not Lily of the West, now?" 

He opened his mouth but closed it again. As if he wants to say something. 

"Is there a problem?"

Marahan niyang siyang umiling. Before I could even open my mouth to ask another question, nakalabas na siya ng clinic.

Shrugging it off, agad na rin akong nagpunta sa aking kwarto. Thankfully, the handmaidens are already there, preparing my bath. I enjoyed the luxury of the warm water. I couldn't have gotten up if one of the handmaidens didn't wake me up. Ni hindi ko namalayang nakatulog na pala ako. 

I went straight to Exene's room to check him.

Nakaupo siya sa gilid ng kama nang madatnan ko. A hot bowl of soup on his bedside. I rushed to the table and picked up the spoon to feed him.

"I might need your help." He said dahilan para mapatingin ako sa kanya. I put down the spoon and sat on the chair in front of him.

"What is it?" I asked. I scanned his face, his wounds. Is he going to the bathroom? Is it hard to stand up? Does he need anything?

I heard him sigh before he looked straight to my eyes.

"I'll double your salary for this."

This time, I blinked. Surely, this is not just a simple help he's asking.

"What is it?"

"I ..." He trailed. He gulped. He actually gulped like it's really a hard thing to say.

I leaned.

"Say it, Exene."

"I need you to be my wife."

* * *